Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 01:13 PM

Default PLO25 video comments thread

I sent a video link of me playing PLO25 to a few of the higher stakes strategy posters. If you would like to discuss hands or post general comments on my play, please post here.

If I didn't send you a link but you're a regular poster in this forum, and a proven winning player at PLO 200+, PM me and I can send you the link.

Now proceed to rip me apart! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: PLO25 video comments thread

how are the rest of us going to understand the comments if we haven't seen the video?

why don't they just PM you their comments?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how are the rest of us going to understand the comments if we haven't seen the video?

why don't they just PM you their comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

In case we have differing views on the same hand?
Old 08-13-2007, 04:00 PM

i don't exactly expect alot of players to be tripping over themselves for the opportunity to coach a random PLO25 player.

Which is maybe just me, but I think the idea of asking for public discussion of something you're distributing privately is sort of contrary to the whole point of this forum... and your rationale, i.e. I don't want the other 25c plo players to steal my tricks/get reads doesn't really fly, since it's not like more then 5% of players at that level are actively working on there games anyway.

If you want to put up a video and ask for comments I think that's great, but I personally don't have tons of interest in spending much of my own time helping a very specific subsection of the PLO forum develop their game. If you're interested in coaching, feel free to PM me, although I'm not generally that interested, and I'd want to be compensated in line with my hourly expectation at my main game.

Anyway, I'd encourage you to post your video and ask for players to critique it, and I'd encourage you to PM players and use AIM/MSN or whatever to discuss hands and strategy outside of the forum, but I don't think it's appropriate to try and use this public forum for a private coaching session.

best of luck etc., either way.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:12 PM

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. Ribbo's video was at least designed to educate the forum and the lower stakes players, but this just kinda smacks of asking for free coaching while trying to squirrel away information from anyone else on the forum that it might actually be helpful to.

Either post the video publicly in a way where it might benefit the forum and maybe some of the higher stakes posters will be nice enough to give you helpful critiques or else just put out a coaching request and see whose rates you can afford on a 1-to-1 basis.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:30 PM

I peaked at it out of curiosity. Not that much to comment on I'm afraid. I understand the motivation, but it wasn't the most well thought out idea either.

It also seemed a bit weird listening to you explain some basic Omaha concepts as if this was meant as a trial run at your own instructional video.

I'm trying not to sound harsh, so I hope I don't come off that way.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:48 PM

I'm not looking for detailed 1:1 coaching. I don't even play this level much any more, so advice on how I deal with the loose/passive players at this level and associated situations wouldn't be that relevant.

It's like this - I just put together a video aimed at beginners inspired by Cardrunners' / Ribbo's videos that I'm giving away free to a bunch of friends, and decided to show it to some of the more respected posters here to see what they think.

If you don't feel like watching it, or if you want to watch it and not give any feedback, that's fine. I started this thread just so if you do want to provide some feedback, you wouldn't all find yourselves repeating the same stuff in PMs. But if you prefer to PM me, that's fine too.

If there were a way to hide this discussion from the rest of the forum then we could do that, although I don't really see it achieving much. It's not as though I'm making anyone worse off by inviting comments in a public forum.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there were a way to hide this discussion from the rest of the forum then we could do that

[/ QUOTE ]

see? that's what i mean. you should just take this discussion off the forum, or by way of PMs (that's what they were designed for--having "hidden" discussions). 2p2, and virtual any other forum on the internet is about sharing with the community who reads the forum. don't clutter the forums with exclusionary video posts for your friends to reply to.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:07 AM

I will say this though ... when I started up my nightly cash game after putting the kids to bed, I decided to mentally note what kinds of things I would say if I was making a video.

It really helps focus your mind on what you are doing and why (and I'm prone to going on auto-pilot at times - usually not a good thing).

I increased my cash bankroll by about 15% in about an hour. Of course, that might say more about how much I devastated my bankroll trying to move up to PLO 200 then it does about how wonderfully I played.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:58 AM

If you put up a video and ask for comments I might watch it. If you are looking for coaching, check out the coaching directory in a sticky in MSNL, my details are in that.