Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 07:41 AM

Default Turning a hand that had some showdown value into a bluff

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $157.95
BB: $200.00
UTG: $259.50
Hero (BTN): $211.10

Reads: <font color="blue">Villain is a 17/12/3 nitty tag type.</font>

Preflop: Hero is dealt 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $8.00</font>, Hero calls $8.00, 2 folds

Flop: ($19) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $13.00</font>, Hero calls $13.00

Turn: ($45) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($45) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $28.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $190.10</font>

I figure hes cbetting that flop with his entire preflop range. His att to steal is still about 25%.

I was thinking of betting the turn to (try) and fold out medium pairs. but then chickened out.

when he bets the river, i think its pretty obvious that hes either
i) value betting Ax
ii) trying to use the A as a scare card to make me fold out mid pairs.

I thought by shoving i can rep a 6. what did i call the flop with from his point of view? Doesn't he have to put me specifically on a hand that had some showdown value that is now bluffing? Not sure if he he can really put me on that.

I know some will say "when do you ever not bet the turn with trips". But i dont play with this person much, for all he knows he might assume that i slowplay to let him try and catch an Ace so i can extract more money. And fwiw, i do sometimes check behind the turn with trips anyway since i feel alot of the time he has air anyway.

Obviously if he is bluffing he isn't calling, but if he is value betting Qx/Ax its hard for him to call.

Thoughts? Also, thoughts on turning my hand into a bluff on the flop by raising?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Turning a hand that had some showdown value into a bluff

You gotta be careful with these bets. It's such a big overbet that it's obvious that they are designed to not be called.

So either you are trying to move villain off his hand, OR you are trying to rep that situation but actually have the goods.

Donkeys MIGHT slowplay trips in such a fashion, but you'll see thinking players rarely make such a move (which is kinda counter-intuitive, but the reason is because donks act more whimbased, which allows for something like this, because they have no concept of valuebetting and ranges and stuff).

So: I think it would be more believable if you raise to around $120.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:55 AM

yea thats true, during the session i kind of forgot how much of an overbet that is. i agree raising to like 120$ is probably better. even though im not sure why i wouldnt shove with a 6 hoping he calls with Ax.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yea thats true, during the session i kind of forgot how much of an overbet that is. i agree raising to like 120$ is probably better. even though im not sure why i wouldnt shove with a 6 hoping he calls with Ax.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me put it this way:

Shove = "haha, you don't have a six and I lolotrapped u with a six, so you can't call and if you do it's all over baby".

Raise to $120 = "valuetowns".

For scenario 2 you need a read that villain knows how to recognize he is beat and is able to follow up on that. Scenario 1 is very dangerous if villain is a good thinking player and he notices that you are decent and think this donk-move is very suspect.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:07 AM

I make that river bet alot when I have the nuts and people call me all the time because its just sooo suspicious