Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Why can\'t people keep secrets?

Inspired by the Do you tell? thread:

Why does it seem like discretion is in short supply these days? Everyone with a secret is just looking for someone to tell. In most cases, sharing a secret benefits no one - it just stirs up drama. Are people just trying to start some drama? Do they just want to feel smart by showing that they know something you don't? Or prove that someone else trusted them to keep a secret? I don't think I'll be the first to say that women are guilty of this way more than men. I'm not going to start a poll. If it's necessary, someone else can make it.

Share your stories of people spilling secrets when there was nothing to gain but trouble.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Why can\'t people keep secrets?

I keep any and all secrets and virtually always have. People who can't keep confidence tend to be boring people that feel a need to compensate with gossip.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:52 AM

You hit it on the head with your first few comments. People love drama.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Inspired by the Do you tell? thread:

In most cases, sharing a secret benefits no one - it just stirs up drama. Are people just trying to start some drama?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yes. Don't you know people who make drama out of ordinary life situations where none exists? Why should it be any different with secrets?

There is a certain thrill to telling a secret. A secret has a certain amount of juiciness, or someone else wouldn't care about keeping it unknown.

Personally, I may share what I deem mostly harmless secrets with a friend or two who I really trust. The kind of secret that would maybe embarrass the subject, but not humiliate.

If a secret would really cause harm though, it's in the vault.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:30 AM

I tell all my friends that they shouldn't tell me secrets. I can't keep them for whatever reason. But at least I inform them ahead of time that if they've got a secret, they better tell someone else.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:42 AM

I'm great at keeping secrets. I get a strange satisfaction out of knowing things that others don't.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm great at keeping secrets. I get a strange satisfaction out of knowing things that others don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

But nobody else knows that you know. I think anyone you gets pleasure out of secret keeping like this is liable to blow it at any minute.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But nobody else knows that you know. I think anyone you gets pleasure out of secret keeping like this is liable to blow it at any minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't have to know that I know; it's enough that I know it. Like when I hear people talking about rumors of Mr. X and Ms. Y, I like being able to just sit in the background smirking because I know what's really going on. I would never divulge any secrets like this because then I would no longer have any extra information. Basically I guess it's information selfishness.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:27 AM

A secret is usually something interesting and people want to tell other people interesting things so the other people won't realize how shallow and boring the first people are
Old 08-15-2007, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't have to know that I know; it's enough that I know it. Like when I hear people talking about rumors of Mr. X and Ms. Y, I like being able to just sit in the background smirking because I know what's really going on. I would never divulge any secrets like this because then I would no longer have any extra information. Basically I guess it's information selfishness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that is fun. Like when I read NVG.