Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 01:29 PM

Default If God is omnipotent.....

and all knowing of the past, present, and future.... Then how do have any control of our lives at all if God knows whats going to happen.... Are our choices an illusion because God knows whats going to happen, and thus will happen.... Or is God outside of time, and we indeed have choices over our lives......
Old 08-11-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: If God is omnipotent.....

On a similar note, how can God be both omniscient and omnipotent at the same time. If he knows what will happen with certainty, then he must not have the power to change it. If he does have the power to change it, then he doesn't know what's gonna happen with certainty.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:54 PM

please use the search feature.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:22 PM

Only God knows how many threads Ironlaw is going to start, apparently.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a similar note, how can God be both omniscient and omnipotent at the same time. If he knows what will happen with certainty, then he must not have the power to change it. If he does have the power to change it, then he doesn't know what's gonna happen with certainty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of the theists argue that since god is omnipotent and omniscient, he obviously does know what is going to happen, but chooses not to interfere because he has given us all free will.

Of course, that just opens up a whole lot more questions...none of which are possible to answer. Which is just how religious authorities like it.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Then how do have any control of our lives at all if God knows whats going to happen....

[/ QUOTE ]

If we are the product exclusively of natural law how do we have any control over anything? I'm a Christian because evolution made me do it.

The only possibility for freedom and human responsibility is if God exists.

OK, Phil, another set-up for you, let's see just how deep you can plunge into the depths of stupidity.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Then how do have any control of our lives at all if God knows whats going to happen....

[/ QUOTE ]

If we are the product exclusively of natural law how do we have any control over anything? I'm a Christian because evolution made me do it.

OK, Phil, another set-up for you, let's see just how deep you can plunge into the depths of stupidity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice that your point becomes stronger if God doesn't perfectly know the future. Or he did once, but gave it up by creating quantum mechanics. You once steered me to a Christian site that postulated such a God so the idea must not horrify you.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Or he did once, but gave it up by creating quantum mechanics. You once steered me to a Christian site that postulated such a God so the idea must not horrify you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember that, can you give me the site?

Anyway, I think I was speaking logically. God would not have to know the position and speed of every particle so long as He was in control of the result. I think He does know based on Scripture, just that logically He would not be any less sovereign. I don't think the fact He knows how you will decide destroys freedom of will.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the fact He knows how you will decide destroys freedom of will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not, but if he knows how you will decide then what's the point of creating a universe to test you and watch it unfold? Seems like supreme all-powerful beings would have something better to do than create, observe, then punish fallible creatures whose fate is already known before the creator even creates them.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So you know that the universe and all existence is deterministic without God? That's interesting.

Does God provide the free will for dog brains, or are they ruled by the laws of physics? They sure seem to have a personality and many human social traits. And if God provides the free will for dog brains, how about mouse brains? At what point does a complex nerve center stop being fluffed by the holy spirit and operate purely under natural laws?

I'd greatly appreciate your wisdom on this topic.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Rather than disappoint, I decided to appeal to your wisdom. I look forward to your answers.