Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 01:10 AM

Default 100/200 8b vs yamaha

villain is yamaha r1. if you dont know him he sits alone at 100/200 stud8 tables every day so hes probably the big winner in the game.

should i be checking or betting 4th and 5th street here?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($100/$200), Ante $15, Bring-In $30 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (2.90 SB)

Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.45 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.45 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (6.45 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (8.45 BB)
Old 08-11-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: 100/200 8b vs yamaha

I like the way you played it. The fact he never acted back at you probably shows you are ahead. (although I'm not a big stud 8 player.)
What was the result?
Old 08-11-2007, 02:10 AM

Meh, you both know he usually has a razz hand here so you're coinflipping. He probably would have raised most anything else coming in. You have a mixture of spilt As, low hands, PPs, 3flushes, etc. so initiative is good to prevent him from reading your hand any more than he already has and betting is best imo. But I don't think it matters that much and you could bet 80% of the time or something instead to mix it up a little. Checking more than half the time would be bad for obvious reasons I think.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:18 AM

Why would you ever check 4th or 5th? NH gg I would say you scoop this a fair amount
Old 08-11-2007, 03:52 AM

pretty straightforward
Old 08-11-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
villain is yamaha r1. if you dont know him he sits alone at 100/200 stud8 tables every day so hes probably the big winner in the game.

should i be checking or betting 4th and 5th street here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to watch him multi-table the 30/60 stud 8's while playing some big MTT back in the day. Do you know who he is? From Chicago area maybe.

I like your line here shorthanded and agree with Johnny#5 that he most probably has a Razz hand. However a limp and 5 calls, no raises, HU to showdown by the superbike isn't meh, totally. What did he have? Hopefully a 76 or something surprising and not a better 75 or 2 pair.

Patty
Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 PM

Totally standard by you.

I have a hard time figuring out what he calls third and sixth with, except maybe something like J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and even that I'd expect a complete with unless you've been popping him a lot. Those streets really don't match up.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:59 PM

I can't see doing anything different.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:11 PM

i know this hand seems incredibly standard, but i think theres more to it than meets the eye. what im trying to say is that villains hand range on 4th street should be stronger than my general hand range and therefore the correct balance play should be to checkcall his bet, or to checkraise when my concealed cards are stronger than usual. the reason why his 4th street hand range is stronger than mine is because he entered a pot against an ace with a deuce whereas i can raise a broader range of hands against a deuce with an ace showing. im not sure im explaining that right but i think its right if you think about it.

if you want to contest this arguement by saying that his hand range is weak because he limped in then i think thats reasonable but for him to limp-call 3rd street with a razz hand seems really really bad, and i wouldnt expect the big winner at this level to be doing that.

on 5th street im still not entirely sure that i should be betting into him. the only value in betting is that i now have AK vs his AQ, but i dont know if that really adds much equity to my hand, and my overall hand is very weak. i guess the main arguement for betting is that i wasnt raised on 4th street, so it doesnt appear that i could be in much shape. regardless, by 5th street in the hand i dont think betting to represent a stronger hand than i really have accomplishes much. hes going to showdown if he improves regardless.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the reason why his 4th street hand range is stronger than mine is because he entered a pot against an ace with a deuce whereas i can raise a broader range of hands against a deuce with an ace showing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this explains his limp on 3rd, in that he's expecting you to raise a wide range of hands with your A and wants to get a feel for which way you're going (or get to the big bet streets) before getting aggressive himself. Looks like his hand didn't improve so much that he felt he had the equity to raise at any point, but had too big a pot to fold.