Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 09:48 AM

Default MultiPoker

Thinking about collusion last night, I came up with this:

Two players play HU. They each control 2 or more virtual players seated like ABABAB at a usual poker table. Game is the same as usual, but now you have different objectives and more game depth (like managing your stacksizes).

Though it would be nearly impossible to do this live, I think it would be an interesting addition to online poker.

It would get supercomplicated with 10 virtual players.

I would love to give this a try. Maybe I am going to write such a program for testing purposes the next days.

Think about how deep the game would become. You have to figure out which virtual player your opponent wants to take to showdown, while you want to know which ones he uses to get more money in the pot.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: MultiPoker

[ QUOTE ]
Think about how deep the game would become. You have to figure out which virtual player your opponent wants to take to showdown, while you want to know which ones he uses to get more money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he ever want to get more of his own money in the pot? To give the several draws you probably have better odds? I think that the strategy would be call along with any hand that has odds at improving, and once something hits you can push hard and fold with your other hands. The game would be like some weird version of Omaha.

There's no equity in winning money from yourself. The only reason anyone would ever raise one hand over another of their own is to even out stack sizes.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: MultiPoker

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason anyone would ever raise one hand over another of their own is to even out stack sizes.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are several other reasons. Raising gets more money in the pot when one of your hands is strong. Raising also reopens the action for your other hands. For example, A1 bets, B1 calls, A2 raises, A1 3-bets, B1 is faced with 2 bets and the threat of being charged a 4th. Or, A1 bets, B1 calls, B2 raises, reopening the action for B1, threatening to trap A1.