Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 07:24 PM

Default How to Dominate $1 and $2 No Limit Hold\'em

Sam’s book is loaded with good stuff. I have just a couple of criticisms. It should have been two books - one for the beginner and one for more advanced players. (Didn’t you know you could make more money that way, Sam?) Still getting a little picky, the CHEATER’S section should be farther away from the player’s glossary.

This book is a winner, though. I highly recommend it!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: How to Dominate $1 and $2 No Limit Hold\'em

Do Amazon.co.uk have the corrected print version in stock yet or are they still sending out the blurry ones?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 PM

Unless someone that has bought it there can answer you are rolling the dice. I noticed that if you order from Amazon UK they are showing an 8-12 day shipping delay which sounds like they have to order it from the US. This improves the odds it is a good copy. The local marketplace suppliers probably have old printing but you can email some of them and ask.
Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-23-2007, 08:42 PM

Does anyone know what’s the main difference b/w the reprinted version and the original?
Besides bolder print have they actually proofread the newer version? The one I have is full of most basic mistakes and errors…

Sam if you are listening, and if you have plans for a second edition of the same book, consider using “I” instead of “we”. The use of “we” throughout the text is quite annoying and makes it somewhat more difficult to absorb and later implement the message. I give you credit for putting emphasis on developing an image of a “power player” and eventually becoming the “dominator”, but this “we” is just too weak for this purpose. Being a “power player” and a “dominator” is about being an individual, it’s you against everyone else and it’s you doing your own thing, so I think if you were to use “I” instead of “we” it would facilitate the readers’ ability to identify with the image of a “power player/dominator” and expedite the process of becoming the PP/D. Also, it’s you who wrote the book, you did not coauthor it with anyone else, so no need for “we”. Sam show some boldness in your writing, you will earn a lot more quality followers or admires. I suppose you want the reader to identify with the PP/D class, but that’s IMO is better achieved without the use of “we”. And lastly whoever proofread/edited your book should be fired, cause there is just too many basic mistakes and errors. I am not one of those picky pricks, but the presentation in this case is just unprofessional. I don’t mind a minor error here or there, as for me the main point of the book is to learn about poker not grammar or spelling, but obvious mistakes just get in the way by distracting and interrupting the learning process.

With all that being said, I personally think that this is a good book that contains much valuable and at times original information. For example I think that the idea of developing the PP/D image/style as opposed to just playing as a TAG carries much merit. I am primarily a B&M SLNLHL player, and I often find that establishing a similar image at my table translates into much additional profit by making it somewhat easier to execute certain plays and moves. Also, as someone else pointed the ranking of cards based on their “playability” not “show down” value is quite beneficial. We NLHL players know or at least should know how the value of your hole cards depends on how you can play them based on the situation, which in itself is always in a constant state of flux…

sincityalpha
Old 07-23-2007, 09:06 PM

Thank you, sincityalpha.

The second print run is no different than the first printing. It just has better print.

I've had very little criticism of the use of "we" instead of "I". Most comments have favored "we" but some haven't. Your vote is noted.

While the book is directed toward $1 and $2 blinds NL, it is good to get substantive compliments from a high stakes player. Thank you very much.

Have we ever crossed swords at a table in Las Vegas? I know that you know your no limit poker.

Sam
Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 PM

Alpha,

That's your criticism? That Sam uses "we" instead of "I?" And this "weak" choice in wording makes it hard for you to understand the concepts?

LOL @ U !

Have you ever read anything by Sklansky? Or even Sklansky & Malmuth? 'Cause Theory of Poker & Hold'em Poker For Advanced Players isn't exactly great litrature. Neither of them claim to be great writers. I doubt Sam would make such a claim if we asked him. But I betcha Sam would claim to be a winning poker player with years of consistant, winning play. Just like Mason & Dave are.

If you're looking for great writing, then go get some Hemmingway. It won't improve your poker game, but it may satisfy your desire for great writing. I just finished the last Harry Potter. I highly recommend it.

But if you want to improve your poker game, then you're just going to have to accept that only a few poker authors are also consistant, winning players. And even fewer of those are also reasonably passable authors.

BTW, you do realize that AuthorHouse is a vanity press, don't you?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:34 PM

Insight: This book will sell very well purely because of title. I'd say it will be 3:1 readers who buy the book on that reason alone within no further insight or investigation into the content. For that reason alone Sam needs to be congratulated.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 AM

Phydaux:

I have no interest in getting into an online debate, as I think much of it is completely useless and is mostly motivated by people trying to find an “outlet”. I don’t need one! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But I will say that I am not sure if you got the point of my previous post. Of course I am not looking for great literature from poker authors, and my main objective when buying poker books is to improve my game. But I tell you what, among so many books out there it’s nice to pick up one that’s written well. I think authors should take pride in their work and always try to present their ideas in a coherent and professional manner. After all it’s in their interest, because in any writing it’s all about the “power of persuasion”, and when ideas are presented well they are hell of a lot more persuasive. And if you want your books to sell you have to give readers an incentive. At this point, there are not too many good books written on NLHE cash games, but this will not last since there is an enormous demand for such literature. So soon their will be many more books written on the subject. That being said, I think for Sam as his FIRST book, he should have taken a bit more time with it to work out the obvious errors and style issues. Lets face it, those of us who play poker for profit, are under a certain time constrain. In other words, there is a significant opportunity cost to our time, and we have to choose am I going to spend time on reading or am I going to spend time playing and making $$$. So with a lot more options to show up on the market, we will become more discriminating in the books we purchase.

Yes I have read DS, theory of poker and NLHETAP, and to be honest I don’t have too much problem with his writing style. It’s a bit dense, but after several reads and effort, it significantly improved my game. But that’s not the same as being annoyed and constantly distracted, like I was while reading Sam’s book. In other words, it’s a different kind of effort required. In DS’s case, you have to work hard to grasp the concepts, where as in Sam’s case you have to work hard at not getting pissed off. L O L BTW, now that I think of it, did you even read Sam’s book? Or are you just mouthing off for no reason? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]….

Sincityalpha
Old 07-24-2007, 01:31 AM

Is it my imagination, or did Sam's book really come out around the movie "Lucky You"??? Cause that would actually make sence, why it's written somewhat poorly, i.e. Sam was working "hard" to get it out on time. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Happy Playing,

Sincityalpha

[ QUOTE ]
Insight: This book will sell very well purely because of title. I'd say it will be 3:1 readers who buy the book on that reason alone within no further insight or investigation into the content. For that reason alone Sam needs to be congratulated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cause that would actually make sence, why it's written somewhat poorly,

[/ QUOTE ]

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]