Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Knowledge of the human condition

Just some question about the ol' human condition we're all familiar with.

1) What's the closest one can come to "getting over" the human condition? Nietzsche talks about "overcoming man" frequently as a valuable ideal, and that seems to have a lot to do with getting used to and improving your own condition.

2) Is it possible to "know" everything about the human condition?

3) Who knows the most about the human condition? Specific people, general characteristics, whatever.

4) Best sources to learn from? Stuff like Shakespeare and classic literate come to mind.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Knowledge of the human condition

[ QUOTE ]
1) What's the closest one can come to "getting over" the human condition? Nietzsche talks about "overcoming man" frequently as a valuable ideal, and that seems to have a lot to do with getting used to and improving your own condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dying. Nietzsche advises a constant overcoming of yourself, but grasping this idea takes long-term study.

[ QUOTE ]
4) Best sources to learn from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yourself only, in the end.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Knowledge of the human condition

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure it has to do with "improving" your condition in any objective sense (though I've never read Nietzsche). I think it just refers to removing the biases of what we seem to think is important for no reason. I'd imagine the person who overcomes their "human bias" the best out of all of us will still have the bias to 99.9999999% the degree that the most biased person has it, by any truly objective measure. I don't think we're significant enough for that not to be the case.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Is it possible to "know" everything about the human condition?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. But not for anyone that maintains any of the human condition.