Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Did we exist before we were born??

Could we have existed before we were born into this life.... Or is God just making soul after soul after soul and putting it into one body after another..... Then that soul goes on to live for eternity???

Or maybe we are some sort of energy that existed in another lifeform before this one.... Since their is no beginning or end of the universe, or of numbers, or no end to pi, maybe their is no beginning or ending to us....

I am not saying that we are reborn into antoher person time after time, but maybe we were somewhere else before we became human..... Maybe in this universe or another, or maybe outside of time, with God.....
Old 08-06-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Did we exist before we were born??

[ QUOTE ]
Did we exist before we were born??

[/ QUOTE ]

YES
Old 08-06-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES

[/ QUOTE ]

NO. It is my opinion that the belief in eternal souls is simply an overly optimistic idea. Some people need this to feel comfortable with themselves and their purpose in life; I personally do not need this to live a meaningful life.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES

[/ QUOTE ]

NO. It is my opinion that the belief in eternal souls is simply an overly optimistic idea. Some people need this to feel comfortable with themselves and their purpose in life; I personally do not need this to live a meaningful life.

[/ QUOTE ]

No for me too. There is no reason or evidence to believe in our existence before birth. What difference would it make anyway?

I believe a rational soul will continue to exist after the material body is dead though. If the rational soul is not eternal, then "meaning" in life is a self delusion.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no reason or evidence to believe in our existence before birth. ... I believe a rational soul will continue to exist after the material body is dead though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Double standard anyone?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or is God just making soul after soul after soul and putting it into one body after another..... Then that soul goes on to live for eternity???

[/ QUOTE ]

well in the bible it says you will be resurrected, your physical body, so we can infer from that a one to one mapping even if you believe in a seperate soul.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:46 PM

No.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well in the bible it says you will be resurrected, your physical body, so we can infer from that a one to one mapping even if you believe in a seperate soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm. Not exactly. The Bible says you will be given a new spiritual body much like that of Christ. It is my understanding that it won't be a "flesh & bones" body as you know it.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no reason or evidence to believe in our existence before birth. ... I believe a rational soul will continue to exist after the material body is dead though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Double standard anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

And where will your abstract ideas go, assuming you have any?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Resurrected in our human body? This is one of my favorite parts about religion. The idea that our human form is somehow divine or modeled after the creator is a joke. Anyone who has studied physiology for more than 20 minutes would know that we are far from perfectly-designed animals. Why would we go to Heaven for eternity in a flawed form? Why would the Creator choose a flawed form for himself?