Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: you raise from utg and the button threebets.
always cap 6 24.00%
always call 19 76.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Suggest a Class

Taking a class provides some structure for my otherwise aimless existence. Areas I'm interested in at the moment include math, finance, and economics (I've taken the basic courses). I'd take game theory or design of experiments, but they're not offered this semester and I don't want to sit through a basic stats or probability class.

The catalog description of these classes isn't very helpful and the textbook isn't listed yet. Assume I have the prerequisites.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Suggest a Class

Is there literally a class called "Critical Thinking?" What department is it in?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:19 PM

I voted for Critical Thinking, but on second thought I think you might get a better "critical thinking" exercise in simply reading philosophy. The exception is if you have an exceptional professor.

Go with Mathematical Modeling.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Taking a class provides some structure for my otherwise aimless existence. Areas I'm interested in at the moment include math, finance, and economics (I've taken the basic courses). I'd take game theory or design of experiments, but they're not offered this semester and I don't want to sit through a basic stats or probability class.

The catalog description of these classes isn't very helpful and the textbook isn't listed yet. Assume I have the prerequisites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Information other than "Critical Thinking" and "Applied Mathematics" would help.

If you are interested in math, finance, and economics, you should probably get interested in probability / statistics.

Is applied mathematics a differential equations course?

What is Critical Thinking? Is this offered by your math department?

Course descriptions will help. Is mathematical modeling a 500 level course, 400, 600?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suggest a Class

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to suggest, "History of Art" but it wasn't on your poll.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 PM

I would suggest one of:

a) Finance/Economics
b) Philosophy (could include Logic/Critical Thinking)
c) Something different, e.g., Physics or History

I wouldn't suggest math, since you could simply pick it up
by reading the right book, am I right?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Go with a philosophy type course, but spend a few minutes reading over some reviews of the professor. A lot of people who are interested in philosophy get turned off rather quickly because of a poor professor.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:54 PM

I read your OP too quickly and didn't see you are taking this class for enjoyment.

You could take a course in Time Series Analysis which would involve all the areas of interest you listed.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:10 AM

So much to learn, so little time...

To answer some questions:

[ QUOTE ]

Is there literally a class called "Critical Thinking?" What department is it in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, gave the wrong title. From the catalog

[ QUOTE ]

[Philosophy] 250 Reasoning and Rational Decision Making (3) Fulfills Quantitative Reasoning (Statistics/Logic).
Analyzing and evaluating arguments, basic logical framework, Aristotelian logic and beginning logic of sentences, fallacies, fundamentals of probability, decision theory, and game theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a bit basic.

[ QUOTE ]
Course descriptions will help. Is mathematical modeling a 500 level course, 400, 600?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
5710 Introduction to Applied Mathematics I (3) Prerequisite: MATH 2250 and 3150 and 3160. Fulfills Quant Reason(Math & Stat/Log) & Quant Intensive BS.
Symmetric linear systems, positive definite matrices, eigenvalue problems, equilibrium equations for discrete and continuous systems, boundary value problems in ODEs and PDEs, boundary integrals.
5740 Mathematical Modeling (3) Prerequisite: MATH 5600 or CP SC 5220. Fulfills Quant Reason(Math & Stat/Log) & Quant Intensive BS.
Meets with MATH 6870. Development of mathematical models for physical, biological, engineering, and industrial phenomena and problems, using mainly ordinary and partial differential equations. Involvement of analytical and numerical tools suitable for analysis and visualization of the solutions of these problems, including packages such as LINPACK, EISPACK, Maple and Matlab.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I was going to suggest, "History of Art" but it wasn't on your poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I audited it, but didn't get much out of it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't suggest math, since you could simply pick it up
by reading the right book, am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's the social aspect or my competitive nature, but physically going to class helps keep me motivated.

Thanks for the suggestions.