Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 03:01 AM

Default High Scoring Vs. Low Scoring

Just curious what people prefer, an offspring of a different thread. I'll withhold my opinions because they no doubt carry tremendous weight and I don't want to unfairly influence anyone...
Old 03-03-2006, 03:05 AM

Default Re: High Scoring Vs. Low Scoring

No offense, but this poll is stupid. People prefer good games over bad ones. A baseball game where there are 20 walks is never gonna be as a good as a pitchers duel in anyones eyes. No one wants to see a football game with 5 fluke plays causing an inflated score. Overall people want to see athletes make plays. This generally happens on the offensive end in basketball which is why i said what I did in the other thread. If there was a game where the defensive was constantly making steals and taking charges I would agree that most people would enjoy that.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this poll is stupid

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-03-2006, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but this poll is stupid. People prefer good games over bad ones. A baseball game where there are 20 walks is never gonna be as a good as a pitchers duel in anyones eyes. No one wants to see a football game with 5 fluke plays causing an inflated score. Overall people want to see athletes make plays. This generally happens on the offensive end in basketball which is why i said what I did in the other thread. If there was a game where the defensive was constantly making steals and taking charges I would agree that most people would enjoy that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I more or less agree but I know a lot of people that prefer high-scoring games in certain sports that don't in others. Thus I don't know that I would use the term "stupid". The most glaring example being baseball - it *seems* like baseball officials prefer the higher scoring games. Why else would they lower the mound, bring the fences in at new parks, possibly juice the ball, etc? I think there is a bit of a dichotomy about what they think and what people want, hence the question.

Plus I do find it interesting that people may prefer higher scoring affairs in some sports than in others. AND at least one person in the Mavs-Spurs thread said they prefer a defensive contest.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:15 AM

Like I said earlier, people want to see plays made. Doesn't matter on the score. I guarantee you that a duel no hitter on ESPN would get higher ratings than a 14-13 game.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said earlier, people want to see plays made. Doesn't matter on the score. I guarantee you that a duel no hitter on ESPN would get higher ratings than a 14-13 game.

[/ QUOTE ]
*I* agree with this - I nearly got a speeding ticket racing to a friend's house in what, 2001? 2002? on Veteran's Day weekend when Pedro and Clemens had that great showdown. Conversely, great offensive performance can be fun to watch as well, regardless of the sport. It's not a one-sided deal or the top performers on one side would always have the upper hand. Like sex, you probably like it one way more than another. Doesn't mean everyone else should.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:26 AM

You are just repeating the exact things I am talking about. I will say it again in caps, so next time you repeat it you should use caps too. PEOPLE LIKE GOOD GAMES. IT CAN BE DEFENSIVE OR OFFENSIVE. IT DOESN'T MATTER. THEY DONT WANT TO WATCH A BBALL GAME WHERE EACH TEAM SHOOTS 30 PERCENT AND THEY DONT WANT TO WATCH A BASEBALL GAME WHERE THE PITCHERS WALK HOME 10 RUNS.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:36 AM

I hope you used the caps lock for that instead of holding down the shift key the whole time.

Your posts, I read and respect, but your base point is that people don't prefer one or the other, but a generic "good" event. I call [censored] on that - I CLEARLY prefer one or the other or I wouldn't have wasted time creating the poll. Tonight's Mavs-Spurs game just wasn't that interesting to me - at all - but I watched because they are two extremely good teams. That said, I'd no doubt enjoy two offensive powerhouses more. In this sport, at least.

I can't use all caps in this reply, I made my gimp eat the CAPS LOCK key and cut off my left thumb and right pinky so I can't use the SHIFT key conveniently. Sorry about any inconvenience this may cause. Please don't ask how I got all the other capital letters. It's very personal.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:38 AM

Tonights game wasn't a good game, thats why you didn't like it. It had nothing to do with defense, the Mavs and Spurs both took bad shots and had shot horribly.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:45 AM

I have no idea what the hell is going on here but this is frustrating. I've seen plenty of sucky polls here and other places and don't think this qualifies. I at least anyway really care about the results and if people read this before they choose, they may not choose because of this exchange. Argh.

As it stands, I already find some of the results interesting/informative/whatever, but if your goal is to ruin the party, it just may do that. If you don't care, why not do that somewhere else?

FYI, I consider the whole Spurs-Mavs thread bizarre - when/how/where do you differentiate between good defense and bad offense?