Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Stud 8: Hi, Variance...

2/4 Stud 8

Absolute, so the converter doesn't work. I tried making it look pretty...

Table is generally passive, so this is pretty rare. It varies between loose and tight. Obviously, I'm trying to see if I should have folded somewhere. No specific reads on each player.

*** 3rd STREET ***
Hero - Pocket [6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5c]
Seat 2 - Pocket [H H 5s]
Seat 3 - Pocket [H H Js]
MAINSHIP34 - Pocket [H H 8c]
Seat 4 - Pocket [H H 8h]
BRIGHTKID - Pocket [H H 8s]
EYESPITONYOU - Pocket [H H 2s]
EYESPITONYOU - Bring-In $1
Hero - Calls $1
Seat 2 - Raises $2 to $2
Seat 3 - Raises $4 to $4
MAINSHIP34 - Folds
Seat 4 - Calls $4
BRIGHTKID - Folds
EYESPITONYOU - Calls $3
Hero - Calls $3
Seat 2 - Raises $4 to $6
Seat 3 - Calls $2
Seat 4 - Calls $2
EYESPITONYOU - Calls $2
Hero - Calls $2

*** 4TH STREET ***
Hero - Pocket [6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5c Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Seat 2 - Pocket [H H 5s 6d]
Seat 3 - Pocket [H H Js 7c]
Seat 4 - Pocket [H H 8h A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
EYESPITONYOU - Pocket [H H 2s 6s]
Seat 3 - Checks
EYESPITONYOU - Checks
Hero - Checks
Seat 2 - Bets $2
Seat 3 - Calls $2
Seat 4 - Calls $2
EYESPITONYOU - Calls $2
Hero - Calls $2

*** 5TH STREET ***
Hero - Pocket [6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5c Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Ac]
Seat 2 - Pocket [H H 5s 6d 6c]
Seat 3 - Pocket [H H Js 7c J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Seat 4 - Pocket [H H 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
EYESPITONYOU - Pocket [H H 2s 6s 9d]
Seat 3 - Bets $4
Seat 4 - Calls $4
EYESPITONYOU - Folds
Hero - Calls $4
Seat 2 - Calls $4

*** 6TH STREET ***
Hero - Pocket [6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5c Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Ac 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Seat 2 - Pocket [H H 5s 6d 6c 2c]
Seat 3 - Pocket [H H Js 7c J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3c]
Seat 4 - Pocket [H H 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10c]
Seat 3 - Bets $4
Seat 4 - Calls $4
Hero - Calls $4
Seat 2 - Raises $8 to $8
Seat 3 - Calls $4
Seat 4 - Calls $4
Hero - Calls $4

The stuff beyond this point doesn't really matter.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Stud 8: Hi, Variance...

I might be inclined to fold fourth, and if not there, maybe 6th. 4th is kind of a tough fold, but several of your opponents caught nice cards which also limits the cards you're drawing to. There's no particular reason to believe that if you catch good that your 65 draw will even be any good. Pot's big though. Your 9 on sixth is almost certainly beat and your draw might already be beat also, given the action, and your opponents are exactly catching bricks.

Edit:
But, uh, keep in mind that I play an order of magnitude beneath you.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:23 AM

Seat 3 is smoking some serious crack, also.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:06 AM

I don't find a fold anywhere.

4th is a call. You picked up enough help, the pot was made too big on 3rd, and you're closing the action. In fact, the additional callers in this hand might be helping rather than hurting you. You're getting almost 20:1 on the call. I don't know if you should call with the Qc, it'd be close.

5th is a call. Unless you were sure you were going to get jammed and were facing monster boards with your own needed cards dead, you cant fold a draw to a 6, a backdoor straight and flush draws. You chances to scoop aren't high but they exist and this pot is big.

6th is a call. You're getting jammed in, but that's just part of this game. Seat 2 may have made his straight, or he could just be raising his lock low. You still have outs to scoop him, and have quite a few outs for half. If you were facing two bets cold it might be a lot tougher decision.

You might catch the card you want on the river and still get scooped. If that happens, chalk it up to luck.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:08 AM

Raise third somewhere. This isn't quite a premium hand, but you've got wonderful deadcards, and Seats 3 and 4 making bad calls.

Everything after that is good. I don't care how well everyone else caught, if you ever fold fourth with a live three-flush and three to a six low getting 19:1 closing the action you're insane.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:06 AM

Sorry, this is razz... I can't really interpret your comments any other way.

Thanks for replying though.

About the other remarks:
The calls seemed fair, but I'm generally inconfident about my play when theres lots of raising, unless im doing it too.

I hadn't really thought about 3rd, I guess I need to play more aggressively when the game is loose. Limping with those types of hands is sort of a habit, but not necessarily a good one.

Results will come out in a few days, unless I forget. They really are particularly unhelpful for judging this hand though.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

About the other remarks:
The calls seemed fair, but I'm generally inconfident about my play when theres lots of raising, unless im doing it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were never in a spot here to raise for value or to drive out a better hand. In general, I also wouldn't worry about it in the split pot games. It feels so weak as you're doing it to just call as the other players are jamming it up, and even worse when you don't get there. Alas, as I play this game more and more, I've realized that calling is frequently your best option. There's not a whole lot you can do unless you're the one with the best board.

[ QUOTE ]

I hadn't really thought about 3rd, I guess I need to play more aggressively when the game is loose. Limping with those types of hands is sort of a habit, but not necessarily a good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't go nuts and raise this hand on 3rd all the time either. As long as you're not raising or limping exclusively, you should be okay.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Whoops, sorry, I thought this was a razz hand.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:54 AM

Okay, the river is a little interesting.

*** RIVER ***
Hero - Pocket [6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5c Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Ac 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Seat 2 - Pocket [H H 5s 6d 6c 2c H]
Seat 3 - Pocket [H H Js 7c J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3c H]
Seat 3 - Pocket [H H 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10c H]
Seat 3 - Checks
Seat 4 - Checks
Hero - ?

What would you do here with the perfect card?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What would you do here with the perfect card?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a hard time seeing what Seat 2 could have that he won't bet. So check it, raise the field, and get four bets in if you can.

Hopefully you scooped Seat 2's straight.