Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Last Comic Standing - anyone watching this?

I took a flier on this show tonight because the rest of the schedule sucked and I wanted to check it out.

A few years/seasons ago it was terrible. It was a faux reality show which showed a bunch of manufactured "drama" in a shared house, and only a few minutes of the hour-long show were dedicated to their abilities. In fact, it was so bad it was canceled like two episodes before the finale. Plus it had Ant, perhaps the most insufferable reality show character since Puck (although he is a judge this time around, but he got limited screen time in this episode).

So anyway, instead of a single elimination showdown thing, they eliminated something like 7 of the 12 comics tonight alone! Even better, most of the comics were genuinely funny. They'd give you a quick intro to the comic, they'd do their thing, and that was it.

Cons: their acts were like 90 seconds long. WTF. It looked really edited so I'm guessing they were at least twice as long if not longer and the parts that were perceived to be best were kept. Also, a couple of the final five selected were IMO the worst of the whole group. Finally, Ant.

This is all kinda rhetorical though, since the Jason Whitlock look-alike is totally hilarious and is gonna run with this thing (not to mention, it's nice to see a minority comic not fall back in stupid minority jokes as their main source of material).

Finally, I had no idea that Bill Bellamy is still alive.

Anyone else see this?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Last Comic Standing - anyone watching this?

I thought tonights show, minus 2 acts, was horrible. I can't wait for the longer head to head matchups now. I'm hoping they just haven't had enough time to really develop anything.

I can't remember his name and can't find it on the site, but I was disappointed he didn't move on last week because I thought he has been the best so far :

Old 07-26-2007, 01:33 AM

Is this the show that had the creepy tourettes guy? It bugs me when they put cripples that aren't midgets on TV.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:41 AM

Nobody was good. WTF. Some of the guys, like the dude with the gorilla mask, were horrible. Major disappointment.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I suspect you guys didn't see the suckfest that was the earlier reality show-styled seasons. Just horrible. At least here there was a lot of stand-up from diverse people, and I honestly did LOL at a lot of them. I guess previous episodes have been better or my expectations were just super low from the original format.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:04 AM

First time I saw this was last years finale. I enjoyed that and was somewhat excited to see another season coming.

This season, however, has been very disappointing. I will probably stick around till the end of the season, hoping that the show gets funnier as people are weeded out.

I really don't like the format, either. I wish they would focus on fewer and funnier people and show longer sets.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:32 AM

I watched most of the first season. I can no longer watch it knowing it was at one point rigged.

Especially if wrestling is on . . .
Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 AM

There are a couple funny guys. I like Doug Benson. And that Ralph guy has a future as a supporting actor in comedies, just because of his cartoonish face. Most of the rest fit the roles and the mix the producers want in the house.

No Dat Phans however.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:48 AM

season 1 sucked. how badly? i actually liked dat phan the most, until i realized he's a one act pony. everyone complained about that but ralphie is pretty much the same way.

season 2 i enjoyed. john, alonzo, and gary all had their share of good performances although ant nearly made me commit suicide.

by far, jay mohr was the most entertaining person in these shows. anthony clark.. UGHRJGIOJRIOG

next season, i liked josh and ty, but i thought ty should have won.

the worst part about this show, however, is that they take the most diverse, drama-worthy reality tv people. not the best comics.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:48 AM

Chris Porter would destroy everyone selected this year. They didn't even let through the funniest guy (the one Iggy put a picture of)