Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2006, 03:25 AM

Default Post-Rebuy - Two hands

At the break of the $10 rebuy on stars I have 28k after add-on. I am in the top 30. I win a small pot and a medium sized pot when make the nut str8 and get up to 30.7k. Next hand, JJ in MP. I make the standard raise. AKo pushes all in and I call b/c I have him well - covered ; he has 8k. He hits an ace and I'm down to 22.7k. Now I'm still above average. I go up and down a bit with blinds, occassionally winning a hand or making a steal, but generally trending downward. Some of the losses come from folding to re-raises off of steal attempts - i'd say around 2, maybe 3 at the most. So I'm planning on making a move when i realy have cards.

I'm at 17k when this hand comes up. Villian has played mostly tight- showing down queens, making an occassional steal; however, he also been overly aggressive - he called a pre-flop all-in with J8o (he had the guy covered so he only lost 1/3 ofis chips). He went all-in with KJo pre-flop from the BB when the SB had flat called.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB (t21930)
UTG (t41369)
UTG+1 (t6692)
MP1 (t21334)
MP2 (t32160)
MP3 (t25375)
CO (t21432)
<font color="#C00000">Button (t27407)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t17370)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls t800, Button calls t800, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO folds, Button calls t2200.

Flop: (t7200) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t7200

1) What do you think of the call on the AK vs. JJ hand?

2) What is my move on the hand where I've given the hand history?
Old 02-25-2006, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Post-Rebuy - Two hands

1) Call. Making a standard raise with JJ is not a steal, people will try to resteal from you if they think you steal too much - punish them, as well as show the table that you DO raise with good hands.

2) Tough spot. I would probably limp preflop - you've got a "crouching tiger, hidden dragon" if the flop is all low or has a T in it. Here - Button limped after CO limp, and flat-called your raise. My range for him would probably be KJ, KQ, 22-99, maybe AQ? I think the last one raises PF...

I would pause for a bit and then bet 1000. I think ridiculously small bet often looks to people like a value bet from a made monster, and costs you less than a half-pot bet. Pot-sized bet commits you to the pot - may as well push (but that would be bad, as only hands that beat you will call). With a 1000 bet you're not pot committing yourself and allowing a possible straight draw (KQ) to call. If he hits his T on the turn or river - he will double you up.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:55 AM

A T on the river also gives me a full house.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A T on the river also gives me a full house.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said "he will double you up"... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2006, 08:59 AM

1. I think this call is fine. You have the chips to gamble and people will make this move with smaller pairs in the 2nd hour all the time. I often see 99 in this spot.

2. Out of position with TT I would put in a bigger raise pf. Closer to 5k. Raising to 3k is giving limpers 2.4 to 1 to call. You'd rather QJs fold then correctly call.

Once this flop comes. I would lead out with my standard continuaton bet like I had the A. I would not lead out with a donk bet to 1000 or whatever against an overly aggressive opponent. This screams weakness and is inviting him to steal the pot. You may as well just check/fold.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Once this flop comes. I would lead out with my standard continuaton bet like I had the A. I would not lead out with a donk bet to 1000 or whatever against an overly aggressive opponent. This screams weakness and is inviting him to steal the pot. You may as well just check/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is a small bet here a donk bet? I think its a thinking bet which is designed to represent a monster and if villian decides to raise it I think Hero should instacall to stop a bluff. If villian checks the turn we have him, or he might have the J... but I would take my chances.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why is a small bet here a donk bet? I think its a thinking bet which is designed to represent a monster and if villian decides to raise it I think Hero should instacall to stop a bluff. If villian checks the turn we have him, or he might have the J... but I would take my chances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never makes bets of this size and think its a waste of chips here. If I had AK, I would lead for 1/2-3/4 pot here so I would do the same with 1010. Is this thinking bet designed to induce a bluff or get villian to fold? Do you also bet 1000 here if you hold AK? Or are we representing aces full or quad jacks?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I never makes bets of this size and think its a waste of chips here. If I had AK, I would lead for 1/2-3/4 pot here so I would do the same with 1010. Is this thinking bet designed to induce a bluff or get villian to fold? Do you also bet 1000 here if you hold AK? Or are we representing aces full or quad jacks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aces full.

The problem with the standard CO bet was that we probably have to fold if villian raises. He would be a monkey to do so with nothing but that seems to be the case.
And in my experience its possible to convince a monkey that we have aces full but not one A

So a small bet would (and a instacall of a fair raise) would let us know if were ahead on the turn. If we are ahead villian will check and if we are behind he would bet.

With AK i wouldnt bet 1000 because then we would like villian to come over the top, because we can call.

"Is this thinking bet designed to induce a bluff or get villian to fold?"

Its designed to stop a bluff, and perhaps earn some value.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:11 PM

I bet $4k on the flop, he pushed. I folded.

Was that weak-tight?
Old 02-25-2006, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet $4k on the flop, he pushed. I folded.

Was that weak-tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you suspect that he would push as a bluff, you need some plan to try and stop it.
Not many players would do that against a preflop raiser who fires on an Ace-flop, but if you think he is that crazy... I like a little bet as discussed.