Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Default NL10 str8 on paired board

Villain is 13.7/4.8/1.2(1.1/1/4) 145 hands

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($8.77)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($16.67)</font>
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($23.21)</font>
UTG+1 ($9.60)
MP1 ($12.37)
MP2 ($11.33)
CO ($1.44)
Button ($9.97)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.30) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.25</font>, UTG calls $0.25.

Turn: ($0.80) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2.2</font>,
<font color="blue">OK, here i put him on trips, so seems it is easy reraise</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $13.9</font>,
<font color="blue">I really was surprised his rereraise. If he has full house now, then why he didn't raise flop with possible flush draw??? Anyway at first my thought was that there is many hands that can be play by him in such way(A9,K9 e.t.c.) but he had vpip 13!!!And really i can see there only full or str8 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Anyway i decided to call</font>
Hero calls $16.57 (All-In), UTG calls $2.42.

River: ($33.44) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $33.44

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 8h 7h (straight, ten high).
UTG has 6c 6h (full house, sixes full of nines).
Outcome: UTG wins $40.69. </font>

1.Seems it s always trouble for me to play str8 on paired board. Always my main point in such hands is: can villain slowplay set on flush board??? But what i can do, when many peoples from NL10 may check-call their sets on 2,3,4 suited boards and didn't defend their hands.
So is it just cooller and it will be profitable to play str8 on paired board on NL10???
2.If villain would have vpip above 20-25 is my game more correct at this point?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: NL10 str8 on paired board

Sample size here isn't huge but I think it's large enough to be useful. The villain is UTG and is limping, so a pp seems very likely. On the flop he just calls. Noting his aggression factor this really isn't shocking. Like you pointed out, an amazing number of players in 10NL will just call on a 2 suited board even when they have flopped their set. Doesn't make sense but that's what they do.

On the turn the board pairs and the villain wakes up. To answer your question, I think a higher VPIP would make it much more likely that he has turned trips, but as it is, this guy's line just screams fh. It's really hard to fold a straight, so I wouldn't blame you for calling his turn raise. However, I definitely would not recommend raising on a paired board against this sort of villain. Don't want to go broke in an unraised pot with a paired board!

BTW...it is generally better to not post the results of your hand, even whited out. The reason being is that it is much more difficult for responders to give unbiased feedback when they know how the hand played out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]