Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 04:18 PM

Default 90 plyr tournament hand analysis

Ok I've tried for a couple days to convert this hand and haven't found a way to do it right but I really need some feedback here, little history. We were down to about 50 players here, double stack tourney on FTP. The villan here had been playing very aggressive and shown down some gutsy pushes and pushing hard with medium pockets. When he initially called, I put him on either a medium pocket trying to stack me if he made his trips or 2 suited overs. Considering that read and with that read anywhere from 8-14 outs, was I wrong making the push here?

Seat 1: SemiEsq (3,205)
Seat 2: Veadus (3,805)
Seat 3: r3komstop (2,250), is sitting out
Seat 4: glenmawr70 (4,820)
Seat 5: ahsfl (6,270)
Seat 6: schmorty (7,485)
Seat 7: Starburst55 (8,525)
Seat 8: Crashtestd (4,360)
Seat 9: t-mac0504 (2,010)
r3komstop posts the small blind of 80
glenmawr70 posts the big blind of 160
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ahsfl [Ks Jc]
ahsfl raises to 480
schmorty folds
Starburst55 folds
Crashtestd folds
t-mac0504 folds
SemiEsq folds
Veadus folds
r3komstop folds
glenmawr70 calls 320
*** FLOP *** [9d 8d Th]
glenmawr70 bets 4,340, and is all in
ahsfl calls 4,340
glenmawr70 shows [6s 6h]
ahsfl shows [Ks Jc]
*** TURN *** [9d 8d Th] [6c]
*** RIVER *** [9d 8d Th 6c] [7d]
Old 07-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: 90 plyr tournament hand analysis

All your outs are not good against his range. If you discount your outs by 20% you have the equivalent of an 11 out hand. Not good enough to call off 2/3 of your chips when you can fold and have an M of about 25.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:54 PM

OK, my beginner is showing, what's m?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:17 PM

M is the total # of rounds you have left in a tourney relative to the blinds and antes vs your chipstack.

Your stack is 2500

Blinds are 150-300 with 50 ante

1 orbit costs you $500 and your stack is 2500 so your M is 5

2500/500=5
Old 07-25-2007, 05:18 PM

And yes raising 3x bb with KJ offsuit in 1st position will tend to make the beginner show. I suggest you get Harrington on Holdem volumes 1 and 2 to learn about importance of position and starting requirements. It has helped me a ton.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:30 PM

Actually that reraise to 3x was relative to the table, everyone was playing extremely tight and I had managed to run some steals from middle and even early position with midlevel raises so I was just taking a stab with a medium strength hand. And think you for the def of m.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually that reraise to 3x was relative to the table, everyone was playing extremely tight and I had managed to run some steals from middle and even early position with midlevel raises so I was just taking a stab with a medium strength hand. And think you for the def of m.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even so it is an extremely dangerous hand to play UTG even at a tight table. What is even worse than that is calling the push. You are behind even to A high. I fold PF 100% but if your reads allow you to raise this hand at this table ok but to call the push is awful.

I am not trying to flame, it is the beginners forum and I am trying to help. This play is typical of a lot of small stakes tournaments online. Two face cards may look strong but it is junk out of position.

In late position with no one entering the pot ahead of me I prob raise a tight table with K J also TO STEAL, not to call a push when I miss the flop.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:40 PM

ok, and ur not flaming, I appreciate the advice. My play later in the tournament definetly justifies your comments, I was the chip leader with less than 30 to go and managed to bleed off all my chips and finish out of the money in 23. I'm slowly working through a lot of advised reads, Negreanus book, all 3 Gordon books, and Skalansky's theory and big play in low limit, and from the sounds of it need to get to Harrington, lol. Thanks again
Old 07-25-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, and ur not flaming, I appreciate the advice. My play later in the tournament definetly justifies your comments, I was the chip leader with less than 30 to go and managed to bleed off all my chips and finish out of the money in 23. I'm slowly working through a lot of advised reads, Negreanus book, all 3 Gordon books, and Skalansky's theory and big play in low limit, and from the sounds of it need to get to Harrington, lol. Thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of really agressive players do not like Harrington because he shows how to play ABC poker and be a winner.I suggest reading HOH 1 and 2 first to get a solid grasp of position, starting requirements, etc... There are problems at the end of each chapter that explain his theories in practice. It has been a bigger help to my game than everything else put together, with exception of 2+2.

Once you grasp the basics then you can incorporate the things in more advanced books and play more agressive, but with effective agression, rather than agression because it feels better to be in the pot than to be watching.

Over my last 2000 SNG's I have a 19% ROI. Not great but far from awful, yet I only play about 16% of the hands I am dealt.

Be careful of the #1 mistake beginners make:

Playing too many hands!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:54 PM

See now I was thinking I had improved that greatly. My seen flop %s in the double stacks are normally around the 30-35% range (possibly that high because I'm a self proclaimed Negreanu protege with an affinity for small suited connectors) where as before I started this recent good run I was as high as 50% even though I knew it was wrong. I don't know if I could be patient enough to get my rates down below 20 but maybe I'll try that on some lower tourneys as I normally play $6 STs and $5 MTTs.