Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Dual Router set up?

I just moved in to the basement of group house in DC. The current set up has the router upstairs on the second floor, so the signal is a little weak down here. I have my own router though, and I was wondering how to use it as a hub/bridge so that I can pick up signal of main router upstairs, and just connect my PC to that.

Anyone?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Dual Router set up?

[ QUOTE ]
I just moved in to the basement of group house in DC. The current set up has the router upstairs on the second floor, so the signal is a little weak down here. I have my own router though, and I was wondering how to use it as a hub/bridge so that I can pick up signal of main router upstairs, and just connect my PC to that.

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, there is no factory firmware that supports wireless bridging. DD-WRT does.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:52 PM

Yea, I guess I should have been more specific with the gear. We have two Linkysy WRT54G.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, I guess I should have been more specific with the gear. We have two Linkysy WRT54G.

[/ QUOTE ]

What version WRT54G? DD-WRT can only be installed on certain versions. The factory linksys firmware does not support wireless bridging.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:24 AM

Install DD-WRT if you can. You can boost the wireless signal and see if that helps without needing to bridge.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:18 PM

I know the linksys WRT54G and WAP54G can bridge together, but I'm pretty sure that the WRT54G has no bridging ability without hax.

You could install DDWRT for increased signal strength, and also get stronger antennas if you like.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the help. I never new about DD-WRT, which is pretty cool. As it turned out I didn't need it, we just moved the modem and router to the main floor so the signal is much better. It turns out the reasons it was going out intermittently was because of the cable jack upstairs anyway.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:51 AM

Second question. As of now, I'm running one computer and just using a wireless card. I think I'm picking up a laptop in the next week or so. Can I use my second router to network the two (and possibly a printer) but still use wireless from the other router? Basically, I'm looking to share files with these two but still get internet access from upstairs.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:57 PM

you can get a range extend for about $60 bucks. I set up a network for my dad when I was on vacation. He has internet in the house and he wanted to extend it out to his aluminum shop. I put a range extender in the window that has a direct veiw of the room with the router, it worked great and he can connect to the internet anywhere in the shop at and get a good signal, even behind his aluminum trailor.

To your second question, yes, but you can only be hooked up to one network at a time. Use separate SSIDs and you can switch between the two.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To your second question, yes, but you can only be hooked up to one network at a time. Use separate SSIDs and you can switch between the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

So by transferring files between the two computers I'll have to disconnect from the wireless network? The other computers aren't connected at all, the other router simply broadcast wireless that each computer uses independently.