Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Small pair in the SB, is it correct to call a raise? (Stars 5-10)

Very basic question. Fairly new to limit, I'm a NL junkie so this should be elementary to me but sadly it isn't. Would like to get your opinions on whether I should have called or folded this hand. I'm not sure whether the bets I'll spend calling and missing compensate for the many bets I'll occasionally win when I flop a set.

Considered a number of factors here:
1) POT ODDS: I barely have the straight pot odds to call: There are 3.5 BB in the pot and it costs me half a bet so I'm getting 7-1. Assuming the big blind calls, I'll be getting 8-1, but if he folds I'm not quite getting the odds I need (roughly 8.5 to 1 to flop a set if I recall correctly), and if he reraises, I'm really getting screwed.

IMPLIED ODDS: I can probably count on squeezing at least two more bets out of the people behind me if I hit a 7, possibly three of four if they also hit the flop. But the problem is:

POSITION: My position is abysmal and since this is a limit game, my positional advantage is not compensated for by abnormally high implied odds. In fact, my implied odds are worsened by my being first to act on every street, which will make it difficult to extract the maximum if I hit.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">
Hero posts $2, BB posts $5. 4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls.

Hero...?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Small pair in the SB, is it correct to call a raise? (Stars 5-10)

this is an easy call with any pocket pair. also, being first to act is not terrible since you can checkraise pretty much any street you choose, or checkfold, or whatever, based on the action.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 AM

3betting is better than folding in this spot. If you're transitioning from NL one thing you have to get used to is that immediate equity matters more and position/implied odds matter less in general (you correctly note that you would win a lot more in NL if you flop a set; on the other hand you can much more realistically play 77 as a MADE HAND in this case than you could in NL); in this case 77 is a significant favorite against a CO stealing hand and who knows what button is doing yet, so don't fold.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:13 AM

3betting is worse than calling imo, because then we're first to act on the flop and most flops are going to contain some overs, then we bet and someone what, raises, and we do what? or we bet and get some calls then do what on the turn? i agree 3betting is better than folding though.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:15 AM

Yeah call &gt; 3bet &gt; fold, if button folded then 3bet &gt; call &gt; fold
Old 07-31-2007, 03:33 AM

Agree.

I like being OOP because B3B is just tooooooooooooooo sexy trapping everyone for like 12 zillion bets then CR'ing their FACE on the turn and betting the river and watching their keyboards short out as their tears drown their desk when they make their sad little crying call and you're just all like AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA I WIN. YOU LOSE. GET THE [censored] OUT. THANK YOU.

Yeah I don't fold here cuz I like all that stuff happenin.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 AM

Yeah I'm such a nit, I feel horrible that I folded the hand, especially because the board came A377A and the CO had AT.
Ugh.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:34 AM

I agree with the other guys that this needs to be called, or 3-bet restealing against a single stealer and no cold-call.

[ QUOTE ]
POT ODDS: I barely have the straight pot odds to call: There are 3.5 BB in the pot and it costs me half a bet so I'm getting 7-1. Assuming the big blind calls, I'll be getting 8-1, but if he folds I'm not quite getting the odds I need (roughly 8.5 to 1 to flop a set if I recall correctly), and if he reraises, I'm really getting screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's late at night here but I count 2.7 BBs in the pot, and it would cost you 0.8 BBs to call here. If the BB indicates calling and not raising or folding there would be effectively 3.2 BBs in the pot for the 0.8 BB call...

In most 5/10 LHE games the posted small blind is 2 dollars, not 2.5. So the pot is a bit smaller, and it costs you a little more to play. This makes calls and raises a little less attractive. IMO this is important to remember in LHE, a game with very small edges. Regardless, I think you need to call in this situation with your 77 and lower pairs.

Also, you seem to think you will only be good if you improve, given the PF action of a steal and a call I think 77 UI can take this down a considerable about of time especially if you play it correctly postflop(aggressively when it seems to be best).

[ QUOTE ]
POSITION: My position is abysmal and since this is a limit game, my positional advantage is not compensated for by abnormally high implied odds. In fact, my implied odds are worsened by my being first to act on every street, which will make it difficult to extract the maximum if I hit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think being OOP is worse when you have a marginal holding. Hands highly likely to be best (sets, etc) are less of a problem to play OOP IMO.

If you flop this set, I think you need to bet-3bet the flop and go from there.

--------------

[ QUOTE ]
this is an easy call with any pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
I reckon the decision must get close to non-easy with very small pairs in this 2/5 blind structure. But yeah this seems to be a call with any PP. Hard to think the implied odds aren't there for the set with this number of people, some of them indicating strength preflop. But I don't think a fold with some (very small) pairs would be terrible play.

So basicaly I didn't have anything to add to this discussion. Standard. Just saying hi I guess.