Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 10:38 PM

Default QLD Today

Anyone find it strange that the QLD which is supposed to return twice the daily performance of the NASDAQ 100 Index was only up .4% while the NASDAQ was up .8%?

Tomorrow will surely be a down day with the numbers Google came out with,I'd be intrested to know if there are any patterns that take place when there is a divergence between the performance of the QLD comapred to the NASDAQ.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: QLD Today

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone find it strange that the QLD which is supposed to return twice the daily performance of the NASDAQ 100 Index was only up .4% while the NASDAQ was up .8%?

Tomorrow will surely be a down day with the numbers Google came out with,I'd be intrested to know if there are any patterns that take place when there is a divergence between the performance of the QLD comapred to the NASDAQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

there was a thread that mentioned this i think about "shorting securities" or something where it was posited that it was very unlikely these "enhanced" or leveraged index funds would be able to track the market in big jumps.

now that isn't even a "big jump." historically, huge portions of gains can be attributed to only a select few trading days, so losing out on those days (ESPECIALLY not getting the double from the enhanced fund), costs a ton.

Barron
Old 07-20-2007, 02:55 PM

Default correct reason

the "closing price" of the QLD occurs at 4:15, b/c they trade until then. The change in the NDX you're looking at is from the 4:00 cash close yesterday until current. If you remember, there was big GOOG news out after the close yesterday.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: correct reason

[ QUOTE ]
the "closing price" of the QLD occurs at 4:15, b/c they trade until then. The change in the NDX you're looking at is from the 4:00 cash close yesterday until current. If you remember, there was big GOOG news out after the close yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

so did QLD deliver the 2x QQQ move?

Barron
Old 07-20-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: QLD Today

With these types of things where they offer a multiple of the performance you are pretty much guaranteed to get a lower return over any time period longer than one day. The key thing is that they shoot for a multiple of the DAILY performance. So once you have more than one day the performance will vary from where it is supposed to be(this is assuming that the security does exactly what it is supposed to do, you're going to have fees then I assume there is a cost of leverage)

So say you have a stock that is supposed to do 2x the return of the S&P 500 and you measure it over 2 days: On Day 1 the S&P 500 starts at 1000 and closes at 1100. On Day 2 the index closes down at 1000 again. So after 2 days you have a gain of zero on the index. But on the stock you will have a gain of 20% since the index was up 10%. On day 2 you have a loss of 18.18% on the new value since the S&P was down 9.09%. If you work out the math and say the stock started at 100 then you have 120 after day 1, but then after day 2 you get 98.18. So market is flat, but you are down 1.82%.

I used such big moves because they make the point easier to see but over time the difference between ideal and reality is going to get bigger and bigger, and the more volatile the market is day to day the bigger the difference will be.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:39 PM

Yep that makes sense. Seems like there is an oppotunity to trade this after some big news comes out and the market hasn't completely digested the news yet.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:16 PM

No, you misunderstood my post. At 4:00 QLD was priced fairly to where the NDX Index was at 4:00. At 4:15, when futures were lower (on GOOG news), QLD was also lower b/c NDX futures were indicating that the new fair value in the NDX index was lower. QLD was trading roughly inline at both times.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:23 PM

Yes. The move from 4:00pm thursday to 4:00PM today, QLD performed roughly 200% the return of the NDX. Also from 4:15PM yesterday to 4:15PM today, QLD perfored roughly 200% the return of the NDX.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Oh, so between 4 and 4:15 QLD performance was in line with the Nasdaq futures price move right?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:43 PM

to be honest, i wasn't watching it. I do know it was fair at 4:00 and fair at 4:15. I assume if they were actively trading, they were fair inbetween those two times.

big size trades in this product so it's pretty efficient.