Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Alternate Energy

I'd like to see some "science" discussion in the SMP forum for a change, so I figured a little series on alternate energies might be interesting. The topic intrigues me even though I'm skeptical of many of the claims of global warming-types. I'm more interested in the efficiency aspects.

I'm looking for some fairly reliable discussion on alternate energies that's interesting to you. I know from doing a little investigating on my own that you have to be skeptical of most claims. I'm looking for any interesting sites, blogs, magazine articles, scientific papers, etc. Whadda ya got, SMP?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Alternate Energy

With competitively priced solar cells on the horizon and many private corporations installing their own solar grids, I think it is safe to say this technology will be the winner as far as scalable power. The technology is improving in an almost Moore's-law-esqu fashion.

Now the issue will be portable energy and high density energy storage. The former will probably stick with LiIon batteries as the superior technology for at least a half decade more by my guesses.

As far as energy storage, I am almost certain that carbon nanotube flywheels will make an appearance in the next decade and they will dramatically change the landscape of the energy problem.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:53 AM

Pretty sure Edison and Tesla fought this one out ages ago.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:47 AM

Nanotechnology FTW. I've learned that people working with this have said they can create solar cells on a small enough scale that they could be "painted" onto the roof of your house for example, essentially turning your whole roof into a solar panel without all the complicate equipment. You can apply it to existing roofs and, boom, there ya go.

As far as the automotive industry goes, I've heard the next big step in the "Hybrid" transformation is to make cars that run solely off electric motors for up to 30-40miles. Something like 85% of car trips are less than 40miles. So, if you wanted to head out to the grocery store, you would do so on only eletric power, only once you crossed the ~40mi threshold, would the gasoline engine turn on.

Good ideas IMO
Old 07-18-2007, 07:43 AM

There are a ton of fantastical ideas about alternative energy. The sad reality is that, at this point in time, none are within orders of magnitude of being as economical as fossil fuels. That's easily the first hurdle that must be overcome.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:07 AM

It's a shame we didn't take that few hundred billion we've spent raising oil prices in the middle east and used it to develop space based solar power. Besides cheap power the biggest benefit would be the improvements in getting things into space that would be required for such a venture. Although if oil prices keep going up maybe someone will have the balls to suggest more nuclear plants and be able to get one past all the misguided protests from the left.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:26 PM

Good stuff so far. Any articles that have struck your fancy on these topics, guys? I sometimes check peswiki.com, though I feel as though I need to be skeptical of everything on there because it is a wiki-type site and some of the claims made can seem pretty over-the-top. I'm thinking articles from magazines like Popular Mechanics/Scientific American, etc.

On nuclear power, I believe that the US hasn't built any new nuclear plants in ~30 years, right? Have there been any developments as far as nuclear goes that would make it a more attractive option? I would think high cost to build a plant, potential for meltdown, and the problem of waste are some big hurdles to overcome.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On nuclear power, I believe that the US hasn't built any new nuclear plants in ~30 years, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, 70s were the heyday of building of nukes. Most are of that age.
[ QUOTE ]
Have there been any developments as far as nuclear goes that would make it a more attractive option?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think much new in terms of the actual nuclear reaction (i.e. heat generating process) has happened. Most 'improvements' have been done in the power generation side - more efficient heat exchangers & misc equipment.

[ QUOTE ]
I would think high cost to build a plant, potential for meltdown, and the problem of waste are some big hurdles to overcome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Always has been the problem, always will. Cost is roughly $1B per nuke to build. The NIMBY's will always give resistance. And it takes over a decade to get one built, so a long lag for the ROI.

However, I know that there are several permits being applied for new sites, predominantly in the south & SE US. Process takes years to complete, but are ongoing nonetheless.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM

I hope to God that this avenue becomes a major new industry:

http://www.nanosolar.com/

I'm for energy deregulation in a big way. Getting individuals involved in selling power back to the grid is a beautiful concept, and will ultimately save us from the collapse of the current system.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:31 PM

I was baffled by a mechanical digger in a neighbor's huge lot. The ditch it was digging was curvey, nothing like a foundation or anything I could imagine.

It was for a heat exchanger for his central air. Gets hot here in Arkansas, so it is worth it. About a 150 yard loop of pipe is buried 3 or 4 feet in the ground. Fluid from the air conditioning system goes out warm, comes back cool. (Not freon itself, some sort of heat exchange fluid.) I'm not sure, but I think they expected it to pay for itself in less than a decade (big house).

I'd like to see taxes waived on stuff like that.

I've started commuting to work (2 miles round trip) on a little electric scooter. It's peppy, will go 15 mph for as many as ten miles. I ride it up the wheelchair ramp and into the elevator. Cost under $300 shipped.