Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 07:34 PM

Default PP\'s in aggressive game

I'd consider myself a beginner-intermediate level player, and I'm posting a few hands that I had a pocket pair in a rather semi-loose/aggressive game. After reviewing them, I think there's a couple bad plays I made and would like some input.

Hand 1
Villain is 28/19/2 after 900+ hands

Full Tilt 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Villain calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Villain folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

When J hits on turn, I figure its more than likely he doesn't have a J, he's probably betting w/ A high, maybe had A6s/A7s or a mid pocket pair. I'm fairly certain I have him beat, but is my river raise here -EV?

Hand 2
Villain is 28/18/2.2 after 1000+ hands and I have caught him before raising some flops with complete air when checked to.

Full Tilt 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Villain calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Looking back on this, I'm really not sure why I bet the turn here. He tends to bully a lot on the flop, should I just have c/c'd the turn here?

Hand 3
villain is 27/20/2.25 after 900+ hands

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Turn: (4.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (6.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villain calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Is c/c'ing flop and turn too weak here? I figure he's either on a big ace which hasn't hit or a big pocket pair.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:54 PM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there
Default Re: PP\'s in aggressive game

Why are you playing against so many TAGs at .5/1?

I think you need to play these hands more aggressively, esp hands 1 and 2. Hand 2 is particularly bad. Just bet the flop, don't clam up because an overcard flops.

Hand 3 doesn't seem bad, but I would think about c/ring the turn maybe. I doubt he takes AK to 3 bets there. You'll get a lot of ace-high calldowns in that spot from people who put you on a flush draw
Old 07-21-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is 28/18/2.2 after 1000+ hands and I have caught him before raising some flops with complete air when checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does one raise a flop when checked to?

I'd raise flop in hand one. It's cheap, you may have the best hand, you have position, etc.

Hand two, why not bet the flop? Your hand is pretty good versus his range on this flop.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:58 AM

hand 1 I don't mind how you played it. if he has a weak hand we let him do the betting for us and extract the most value. if he has a draw he charges himself and kills his implied odds.

hand 2 bet the flop for value yo. your turn bet doesn't make much sense, it's not like that card will freeze him up after your flop play. really though, just bet the flop and don't get yourself in this situation where you don't know where the hell you are.

hand 3 flop+turn fine imo. an aggressive villain will bet the hands you beat for you, and if you checkraise the flop or turn you will likely get 3boned by most of the hands that beat you. vs a showdown bound villain I like the river lead even if you don't improve; if you check he is going to vb you to death with his big pairs and check behind his AJ AQ AK.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:09 AM

1) I'd just call the river unless I have a read he check/raises top pair on the flop but donks marginal made hands.
2) Flop check sucks. Donking the turn seems like a bad line against the opponent described. He'll probably just calldown with Tx if you bet, but will valuebet if you check, so you get the same amount in by check/calling down without the risk of losing more if he has a K. I would only consider donking if I thought he would check behind draws, but really the flop check just messes up the whole way the hand should be played.
3) Flop and turn are standard. I like donking the river as there are more Ax hands than overpairs, and he might even raise an overpair putting you on a WA/WB line.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3 doesn't seem bad, but I would think about c/ring the turn maybe. I doubt he takes AK to 3 bets there. You'll get a lot of ace-high calldowns in that spot from people who put you on a flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I like, as long as he's not capable of freeshown 3 betting AK high or something, but I don't think we have to worry about that at .5/1.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:41 AM

I think its debateable whether to c/r flop or turn in hand 3. I usually c/r the flop and get owned by AA.

But the river raise in hand 1 and flop check in hand 2 are much more important.

What worse hand do you expect a TAG villain to call you with on the river in hand 1?

Why would you check the flop in hand 2? So many draws are calling and there is no reason to think someone hit the K. Also for metagame purposes: Look for reasons to c-bet the flop dont look for reasons not to. If you start checking in specific spots you will be much easier to read for observant opponents.