Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Floating or Fish Play?

I've been reading up on the 2+2 anthology and have been trying to implement some of the concepts into my play. In the hand I'm about to post I tried to use some floating concepts I had read about. I won the hand, but I'm pretty sure I played the hand poorly.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($18.48)
Hero ($10.21)
SB ($2.13)
BB ($7.21)
UTG ($8.91)
MP ($9.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.45</font>, Hero calls $0.45, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($1.15) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1.15</font>, Hero calls $1.15.

Turn: ($3.45) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $3.45</font>, Hero calls $3.45.

River: ($10.35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.16 (All-In)</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: $5.19

I put the villain on an over pair with his pot sized bet on the flop. I think my call on the turn was terrible; I should have raised there. I'd appreciate any thoughts and critiques... I'm new to analyzing hands so fire away!
Old 07-22-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Floating or Fish Play?

first callin a raise w/ a 64s is fishy and then callin w/ bottom pair crappy kicker
Old 07-22-2007, 05:18 PM

Fold preflop.
Fold on the flop.
Fold the turn, you dont have the odds to call. Even implied odds dont make up for that.
He could have played his draw aggressive, but it doesnt matter. You got lucky.
You invested money when you were behind(?) and didnt get payed of when your draw hit.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:38 PM

I agree, I think it was terrible play and I misunderstood what floating is. If I had seen someone else make this play I would have laughed, but my ego and the fact that I won the hand made me think I might had done something right.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:42 PM

I don't think you misunderstand what floating is. I think the above posters are nits. Just because you didn't hit the flop hard doesn't mean you have to fold. Go to SSNL and post this and they will say this is standard postflop. You have a pair + a backdoor flush draw + position against somebody who could likely have just overcards. Floating is calling with no hand or a very weak hand intending to take the pot away when the flop aggressor checks the turn and just because he didn't check this time doesn't mean it's a bad play. FWIW alot of good players will float with hands as weak as gutshots with an overcard or just nothing at all here so automatically thinking it's bad because it didn't work is bad.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you misunderstand what floating is. I think the above posters are nits. Just because you didn't hit the flop hard doesn't mean you have to fold. Go to SSNL and post this and they will say this is standard postflop. You have a pair + a backdoor flush draw + position against somebody who could likely have just overcards. Floating is calling with no hand or a very weak hand intending to take the pot away when the flop aggressor checks the turn and just because he didn't check this time doesn't mean it's a bad play. FWIW alot of good players will float with hands as weak as gutshots with an overcard or just nothing at all here so automatically thinking it's bad because it didn't work is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
all you have to do is player tight abc poker in 10nl and go ask the ssnl and they will tell you that you are making a bad play
Old 07-22-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all you have to do is player tight abc poker in 10nl

[/ QUOTE ] I wholeheartedly agree with this.

[ QUOTE ]
go ask the ssnl and they will tell you that you are making a bad play

[/ QUOTE ] i disagree with this. just because he made a play that didn't work doesn't make it a bad play.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Few people double barrel with overcards at 10NL. Calling the turn was bad. Luckily, it looked like this villain had just overcards, but calling two pot sized bets with a weak/marginal hand is a good way to go broke.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:06 PM

say we hit the river and villain never folds to our push, was it still a bad call? no it wasn't.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:44 PM

I'm sort of confused now. So calling the turn was wrong and PF and Flop calls were iffy. Would raising the turn be correct due to fold equity?

I've been beating 10nl pretty easily playing abc poker but I'm building a bankroll and don't want to move up until I hit my preset goal. So when given the chance I try to implement concepts I've read about on here.