Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Help me with the end game.

Some background first.I have played about 2000 low buy in MTT's over the last 2 years showing a ITM of 1 in 5, with 1 win in 40 & FT 1 in 10.Roi 140%.
I think I have a reasonable grasp of the fundamentals of tournie play but feel I could do better.I seem to have an uncanny knack of donking off big stacks late on.
This hand that just happened is a perfect example.

Prima rebuy tournie,I had been in the top 10 since the add-on.
Just moved to this table 17 left 1st hand at table.
3000/6000 d(next level in 2 mins)
Hero BB 117,000 (3rd in chips)
Villain SB 208,000 (chip leader)
All fold to villain r 24,000,I push with ATs he shows QQ no help from board Im out 17th.
My thoughts were I am only interested in top 3,my M will be 6 in 2 mins,he could be stealing with a wide range & ATs is good enough.
This being my 1st hand at table with no knowlege of villain would you just pass this and wait for a better spot,just call & re-evalute on the flop or do you think my push ie +ev in this situation & I just got unlucky.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Help me with the end game.

In a BvB battle this is pretty standard.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:31 PM

Agreed, this push is standard from the blinds... he picked up a hand, no biggie. All your numbers look ok, you obviously have a feel for the resteal, squeeze etc. are you punishing the mid stacks when you are big stack?
Old 07-21-2007, 07:32 PM

I think your play is +EV and you just got unlucky. If he had raised to 18000, I think you can see a flop, get it in on an A or T high flop or flush draw and dump it otherwise.

With the raise here, I don't think calling and then folding can be good. Re-raaising pre-flop seems like the best move.

Also, I don't know what stakes you play at, but with an ITM of 20% and ROI of 140%, your game is probably already in the top 1-2%. I don't think you have too many leaks to plug at this level. Move up when bankroll permits (and expect a drop in ITM%/ROI% because there is less dead money and it will take time for you to adjust to stronger opponents' ranges and plays).
Old 07-21-2007, 07:56 PM

Thanks for that,I generally only play up to $10 buy ins with occasional sat entrys to $50 or so.
I only have about 150 mtt's logged in PT & my stats show 15.5/8/2.5 is this about right for a winning palyer?Recently I seemed to have upped my aggresion after reading Arnold Snyders book,made a FT a few days ago with stats of 17/12/18(never had my AF that high before) too aggresive?
Old 07-21-2007, 08:05 PM

Your play is +cEV.

It's worth considering that the absence of antes on Prima rewards post-flop play etc. but sadly QQvATs in a blind battle is always going to end up leaving one party feeling dissatisfied.