Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Yet Another \"What Should I Read Next\" Thread

I'm going on vacation and I wont be able to play poker for a couple weeks. I think now's a good time to do some more poker reading.

I've moved up from 2NL to just now 25NL/PL FR (not a winner at this one yet, but 5+ bb/100 at lower levels, mostly 5NL 6-max and 10NL FR). I've been playing poker for a few months now.

I've read: Theory of Poker, HoH I, HoH II, & LGB.

I'm interested in: PNLH (def. getting this one), The Mathematics of Poker, NLHTP, The Poker Mindset, The Psychology of Poker, Why You Lose at Poker, Super System

Any thoughts on reading order, what's good and what's not, etc? Sorry to litter this forum with another one of these posts, but I wanted to tailor the advice to my specific situation.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Yet Another \"What Should I Read Next\" Thread

Fine suggestions and you don't really need more

The Mathematics of Poker is a good book, but it is a treatise on balance and gametheory ... heavy if you are not used to math

And the ones below, I wouldn't be in a hurry to get

The Psychology of Poker, Why You Lose at Poker, Super System (I assume you mean SS2, the NL chapthers are identical, but the rest of the chapthers are more relevant in SS2 to todays games)
Old 07-20-2007, 07:38 PM

NLHE:TAP you should get, and pretty much everyone's getting PNL. I like MoP myself and think it's excellent, but not everyone will agree with that.

I have The Poker Mindset and Psychology, but you can skip these IMO. Super System 1 and 2 are good, but not as much for Doyle's NLHE chapter. Chip Reese's Stud from the first book is good, and I SS2 is good in general for TD. LHE, and O8.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in: PNLH (def. getting this one), Super System, NLHTP,

[/ QUOTE ]

The above are ok. I would read the 2 ciaffone books also. I'd leave NLHTP until last.

Hoh, supersytem, pot and no limit poker, improve your poker, PNLH, NLHTAP, full tilt tourney edition book. These are the only big bet specific books you'll ever need that's currently out there on the market.

[ QUOTE ]
The Mathematics of Poker

[/ QUOTE ]

A good book. The only truly advanced poker book out there. Way too advanced and complicated for your current levels. I would add this book to the above list, but wait until you're at a much higher level before studying it.

[ QUOTE ]
The Poker Mindset, The Psychology of Poker, Why You Lose at Poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Not read them. I wouldn't bother. Actually, I have read the psychology of poker. I recommend you don't bother.