Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 03:49 AM

Default Live game strategy

Hey guys, been reading for a little bit of time and decided to sign up and start posting... Really like the forum, good stuff hope it continues this way.

Now back to the topic at hand. I play a couple times a week in a game at friends place / poker room and have taken massive beatings the last couple months.

The game is a 5/10 with about 15-20 different players in total. We're usually about 9-10 every game. A couple of the guys are strong players and I would put myself in the top 5 as far as skill goes.

The problem with this game it is VERY loose, pre-flop bets of 80 (8x BB) will bring you at a minimum 4-6 callers, nobody really cares about position etc.. Bigger pre-flop bets of 125-250 will always get a couple callers regardless again of position.

Once the flop hits god forbid there is a straight or flush draw on the board people will chase all the way to the end no matter what you raise.

Most of the guys here do make good money in life and dont really care. The more i think of it, this game makes me feel like I am at a bingo parlor most nights. Overall winners tend to make big bets post flop and on to make people pay for missing their draws.

Now, what do you suggest is a good strategy to play at this game?

Regards,

m4g
Old 07-19-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Live game strategy

Play super ridiculous tight, super ridiculous fast, and talk a lot, make jokes, drink beers, so on.

Also, tell me where the game is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2007, 03:56 AM

get in cheaply when you can and play big hands very aggresivly bc sounds like youll get payed off no matterr what

also buckle up and be ready for tons of varience

wheeeeeeeeeeee
Old 07-19-2007, 03:56 AM

m4g,

Welcome to the forum =)

A couple important questions:

1) How deep does the game play?
2) How deep do you play?
3) What kind of bankroll do you have / how important is the money to you?
Old 07-19-2007, 03:57 AM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, bring lots and lots of cash and look at every beat as an investment in making the game play bigger.

This is the type of game that will eat you alive if you are on scared money even a tiny bit, tho.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:02 AM

Im not sure what you mean by 1 & 2. As for the bankroll, I am on par with most of them on the amount of money I can afford to loose. We all start with 500 every night, by the end of the game it is not abnormal to see people in for 5000-6000. The average looser is at around 1500-3000 and the average winner is 1500-3000. Big winners sometimes can cash out 4000-7000 a night.

m4g
Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not sure what you mean by 1 & 2. As for the bankroll, I am on par with most of them on the amount of money I can afford to loose. We all start with 500 every night, by the end of the game it is not abnormal to see people in for 5000-6000. The average looser is at around 1500-3000 and the average winner is 1500-3000. Big winners sometimes can cash out 4000-7000 a night.

m4g

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, when he is asking how deep you play, he means how often do people bust and rebuy, i.e. what are stack sizes at the table usually like after a few hours. Everyone buys in for 500, but if the game plays super fast and everyone is up to 2 or 3 grand after 3 hours, its way different than if people just bust their 500, get up, and are replaced by another guy with 500.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 AM

I've tried playing the super tight way... It works but the one hand you go big with a great starting hand and don't hit you're cooked.

For example, last week I was ready to go home and was in for 1000. I ha dabout 290 left in front of me, couple callers of the blinds no raise and I am on the button. I end up shoving with pocket 8's and get called by two guys. One mucked at the end of the hand so I had him beat... the other called me with 5-3 suited and ended up hitting a boat on the turn.

m4g
Old 07-19-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've tried playing the super tight way... It works but the one hand you go big with a great starting hand and don't hit you're cooked.

For example, last week I was ready to go home and was in for 1000. I ha dabout 290 left in front of me, couple callers of the blinds no raise and I am on the button. I end up shoving with pocket 8's and get called by two guys. One mucked at the end of the hand so I had him beat... the other called me with 5-3 suited and ended up hitting a boat on the turn.

m4g

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, thats whats going to happen in a game like this. Thats why I recommended bringing lots of cash. When you go broke against the 5-3, you have to look at it as "That donkey now has twice as much money in front of him" rather than "[censored] donkey just took my stack" in order to keep from tilting. Then you rebuy, and win it back.

Of course, all this does is make you tilt whenever donkeys rack up (UGH COME BACK HERE WITH MY MONEY YOU FISH I'LL GO GET YOU DINNER SIT DOWN) but thats a whole different problem.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 AM

Nobody really leaves after 1 or 2 rebuys... Average guy leaves after 1500-2500 down. Game usually goes from 5 hours minimum to around 10hours. Tonite was the shortest i can recall after everyone was disgusted with one guy and only last around 3 hours. It usually never ends in less than 5 hours.

m4g