Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 12:11 AM

Default $50NL - Unraised Pot With Trips OOP

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $76.35
Hero (BB): $52.60
UTG: $50.00
CO: $47.35
BTN: $50.00

UTG posts $0.50
Preflop: Hero is dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG checks, CO calls $0.50, 2 folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($1.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.00</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to $2.00</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7.00</font>, UTG calls $5.00

Turn: ($15.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $8.00</font>, Hero calls $8.00

River: ($31.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $15.00</font>, UTG calls $15.00

Pot Size: $61.75 ($3 Rake)

Thoughts:

Flop I thoght he might have a J but obviously wanted to define my hand a bit with the 3-bet.

When he called the 3-bet I checked the turn expecting to take a pot sized bet very seriously -- didnt want to get raised and have to dump with half a stack in the pot. CRAI was a consideration -- perhaps better given the FD possibility.

On the river I figured I could get some value out of Jacks since my line was unusual and looks bluffy. I would call a push here obviously at that point.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: $50NL - Unraised Pot With Trips OOP

I think your line is sort of unconventional but okay. It's a creative way to trap.

Jx is far more likely than a 5 for UTG, by the way, and I think that's true even after he calls your flop 3-bet.

The main thing that would suck is if he was min-raising with diamonds and took the free card on the turn.

And, incidentally, it's possible that what I said at first is results-oriented. I mean, there's no way in hell I'm betting the turn with AJ or probably even AA if I'm Villain after your flop bet/3-bet. But Villain isn't me.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:32 AM

Don't understand 3-betting and checking turn. It really looks like you have a flush draw though, so CRAI is best if you do check. He's probably calling down now so just bet like 2/3 pot or so on turn and river, call push.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:48 AM

Just curious why you would ever want to "define your hand." Isn't the goal to avoid defining your hand?

I like the way you played it actually, for the most part. My problem with the turn check/call is that he may check behind too much if he's as weak as you want him to be. I probably prefer leading. But you're not really worried about protecting too much, so if you think he's going to bet a decent amount a good amount of time there then I don't mind it.

I like the river play, if he has just a J he's more likely to check behind here.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:11 AM

Well, i'd like the 3-bet to define whether he limped in with JJ or A5 or something nutty like that.

I used to play higher, cashed out, and am rebuilding after a few months off, so admittedly I may be (probably am) overestimating the intelligence of the guys at 50nl on FTP but normally I try not to play for full stacks in limped pots OOP without something resembling the nuts.

Again, i'm not sure about the turn even now after waking up and thinking about it some more. I like the flop b3b particularly to not give cheap cards to flush draws, but then on the turn I don't like the check because it gives FD's free cards and that is a likely holding. Maybe something in the range of 2/3 pot on the turn is better in retrospect. River was an obvious value bet -- if I were him I'd be guessing my line was a FD as well.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:57 AM

Note villain posted out of position and didnt limp utg, he could have any two cards
Old 07-20-2007, 09:20 AM

flop 3bet/check turn imo really sucks. if you 3bet lead turn.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 AM

c/r something
Old 07-20-2007, 02:32 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that after a bet, a raise, our 4 bet then a smoothcall... that there's a decent chance we may be facing the case 5 and we have kicker problems?

reads would help...