Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 AM

Default OESFD question

This could probably go in probability but it's most likely a really short answer. If I am holding an OESFD, is pushing AI correct against 2 other players? I know I am a ~60% favorite HU with 15 outs on the flop assuming I'll have the better flush. I was just in the following hand, after which I was berated for being a fish:

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

Hero (SB): $12.81
BB: $10.49
UTG: $10.00
UTG+1: $10.14
MP1: $2.00
MP2: $10.75
MP3: $3.72
CO: $2.00
BTN: $11.04

Preflop: Hero is dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9 Players)
5 folds, CO checks, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks

Flop: ($0.30) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $0.15</font>, <font color="red">CO raises all-in to $1.90</font>, Hero calls $1.90, <font color="red">BB raises to $6.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $12.71</font>, BB calls all-in for $4.39
Uncalled bet of $2.32 returned to Hero

Turn: ($22.98) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players - 3 All-In)

River: ($22.98) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players - 3 All-In)

Pot Size: $22.98 ($1 Rake)
Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: OESFD question

I would have pushed all in over the $1.90 but I am not sure that is the right play with 3 opponents and a paired board. I would assume you played it fine but that 3rd opponent fouls my brain up this morning.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:14 AM

Not sure why you got called a fish for this. BB is commited to calling your shove so you have the 2:1 you need.

something similar happened to me live last week when i was in the BB.
folds round to short stack SB who shoves, it cost me t70 to call ( pot: t870). i hold 56o.
I lost the pot and some freak called me an idiot for doubling up the short stack lol.

i watched the freak intently after that but he lost most of his stack to other players before i could take advantage.

Hopefully he`s playing tomorrow night.

my advice would be buddy list whoever was calling you a fish and get on his table often.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:50 AM

Well it turns out that the guy calling me a fish ended up losing 3 buyins and called everyone that stacked him a fish, so I'm not going to take it personally [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

I downloaded Pokerstove and it said that against 2 random hands I was 50% and 2 random Villains were 25% each.

CO actually had 95o. My reasoning for not pushing over his AI raise was that I really didn't expect BB to come along to showdown and thought I could get away on the turn if he just called, although a push would have made sure he folded if he was going to fold now that I think of it. That was a bit of lapse in judgement, but thankfully he opened the raising again so I could correct it. Good point there.

BB ended up having 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so I was actually 43% against his 46% if he wants to be results oriented.

Edit: Totally forgot to buddy list him. Thanks for reminding me. He was sitting directly to my left and would only call my raises, no one elses and tryed to push me off a lot of hands - tilted off a lot of money to me and the blinds.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:59 AM

There's is a chance that you are only drawing to two outs. And even if your straight or flush is good, someone probably has a redraw to full house. And given the preflop action, your two opponents could basically have any two cards. However, the way the flop action went down, I would say most players would have played it like you did.

Some tighter players might have folded to BB raise to $6 though. At that point, you have to figure BB is going to get all his chips in so your pot odds at that point were: ($10.49+$4.25)/$10.49 = 1.4:1. Your straight draw is to the nuts but your flush draw isn't. And the board is paired. I don't think this is a slam dunk.

As for the "fish" comment. Note that fish call other players fish a lot more than good players call other players fish.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:19 PM

Funny how you think of someone and they show up.
Pants, i was in MTT strat today, someone was asking for links to good maths threads.
i thought of you cos i know you`ve got that stuff down.
Got any links for us? or best books or anything?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny how you think of someone and they show up.
Pants, i was in MTT strat today, someone was asking for links to good maths threads.
i thought of you cos i know you`ve got that stuff down.
Got any links for us? or best books or anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that. I have some math floating around in my brain because I am an electrical engineer.

However, I did buy this book and found it very good. It's by Matthew Hilger who is an online allstar player: http://www.amazon.ca/Texas-Holdem-Odds-P...3037&amp;sr=1-2
Old 07-20-2007, 02:07 PM

Thanks. It sounds just the job.
I know i`ve got to make the effort with this ( as everybody else has) as having a quick semi guess at it is costing me more than the book would i`m sure.