Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Terrorists are generally educated and comfortable

Under the category of "Know thy enemy"...

A Chicago Tribune article made the point that most Al-Qaeda terrorists do not fit the stereotype of the poor "dead-ender" from some slum. Generally, they are well educated and while not necessarily rich, they are not poor either. A few examples I can think of are: Richard Reed, British citizen born in a middle class London suburb; The 9-11 hijackers, many of whom were college students in Germany; the latest British plot, 3 suspects, all doctors; and of course, OBL himself.

I suppose the reason for this is that if you are actually poor, you are too busy providing for yourself to 1. Care about politics, 2. Spend enough time researching politics to form a radical opinion and 3. Have enough resourses to do something about it. I suppose this is important when it comes to targeting our "Hearts & Minds" campaign. Most of the PR America does is targeted at the "Arab Street", but it might be wiser to target it at more intellectual circles and use more logical arguments instead of appeals to emotion that might be used in any mass-merchandising campaign.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Terrorists are generally educated and comfortable

You forgot about the textbook case- John Walker Lindh.

Interesting article.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:47 PM

Yes, well educated people are often the most vunerable to fall victim to outlandish ideas and leaders.

More likely to join cults, more likely to follow fringe politicians like Ron Paul or Lyndon LaRouche, more likely to fall for weird Austrian economic theories.

We just live with those listed above as they will never be more than 1% of the population. Until and unless they cross the line and start killing people, then we have a terrorist problem.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, well educated people are often the most vunerable to fall victim to outlandish ideas and leaders.

More likely to join cults, more likely to follow fringe politicians like Ron Paul or Lyndon LaRouche, more likely to fall for weird Austrian economic theories.

We just live with those listed above as they will never be more than 1% of the population. Until and unless they cross the line and start killing people, then we have a terrorist problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Voluntarism = terrorism.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Voluntarism = terrorism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading comprehension ftw!

Neilsio - do you like my new avatar? It took me a while to find a good one.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it might be wiser to target it at more intellectual circles and use more logical arguments instead of appeals to emotion

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think logic is going to appeal to guys who want to kill people.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:11 PM

Hearts and minds has never been intended to dissuade actual terrorists. It is more about persuading people not to help terrorists, to rat out terrorists or dissuade proto-terrorists who keep hearing bad things America does in the Arabic media.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:44 PM

Let's see what Mr. Edwards has to say about the relationship between poverty and terrorism:

When you understand that, it suddenly becomes clear: global poverty is not just a moral issue for the United States – it is a national security issue for the United States. If we tackle it, we will be doing a good and moral thing by helping to improve the lives of billions of people around the world who live on less than $2 per day – but we will also begin to create a world in which the ideologies of radical terrorism are overwhelmed by the ideologies of education, democracy, and opportunity. If we tackle it, we have the chance to change a generation of potential enemies into a generation of friends. Now that would be transformational.

JohnEdwards08:Transformational Change For America And The World

I guess in relation to Mr. Edwards doctors are poor. However, in relation to Osama Bin Laden's family, Mr. Edward's is a piker.

Is Mr. Edwards a representative of mainstream Democratic party thinking? I guess he's more likely a lunatic that got on ticket in 2004.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's see what Mr. Edwards has to say about the relationship between poverty and terrorism:

When you understand that, it suddenly becomes clear: global poverty is not just a moral issue for the United States – it is a national security issue for the United States. If we tackle it, we will be doing a good and moral thing by helping to improve the lives of billions of people around the world who live on less than $2 per day – but we will also begin to create a world in which the ideologies of radical terrorism are overwhelmed by the ideologies of education, democracy, and opportunity. If we tackle it, we have the chance to change a generation of potential enemies into a generation of friends. Now that would be transformational.

JohnEdwards08:Transformational Change For America And The World

I guess in relation to Mr. Edwards doctors are poor. However, in relation to Osama Bin Laden's family, Mr. Edward's is a piker.

Is Mr. Edwards a representative of mainstream Democratic party thinking? I guess he's more likely a lunatic that got on ticket in 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was sloppy in his presentation, but he could have a point. Most of the terrorists have grievances that have to do with the West making conditions in Muslim countries unbearably poor. Almost all of them are upset at the Palestinian situation for example. The ones who actually perform the terrorists acts aren't the poorest ones, but that doesn't mean that the reason they are making the attacks is because of the awful socioeconomic situations in Muslim countries.

If there is a perceived attack by the West on Islamic countries to "keep them down", some Muslims who are better off and radicalized might believe it is necessary to protect their "Muslim brothers".
Old 07-16-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He was sloppy in his presentation, but he could have a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably doesn't have a point but let's continue.

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the terrorists have grievances that have to do with the West making conditions in Muslim countries unbearably poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

To follow Mr. Edwards "logic" he writes the following:

Trade policies affect jobs and wages here and throughout the world.

The implication is that U.S. trade policies are a root cause of global poverty. In regards to the Middle East how is that so?

Anyway later Edwards is specific on a program to end global poverty:

As president, I will lead a worldwide effort to extend primary education to millions of children in the developing world by fully funding the Millennium Development Goal of universal primary education by 2015. The U.S. will do its part by bringing education to 23 million children in poor countries, and we will ask our allies to step up and do the rest. It's not just good for our security; it's good for theirs.

Second, we will support preventive health care in the developing world.

Women and children bear the burden of poverty and disease in the developing world. Women in our poorest countries have a 10% chance of dying during childbirth. More than 10 million children die each year from preventable diseases. Many of these diseases are preventable with clean water and basic sanitation or affordable immunizations.

As president, I will convene a worldwide summit on low-cost investments in clean drinking water and sanitation. Under my plan, the U.S. will increase its investment in clean water six-fold.

Third, we can get to the root of global poverty by increasing opportunity, political opportunity and economic opportunity. Democratic rights allow poor citizens to force their countries to create more progressive laws, fight oppression and demand economic stability. Economic initiatives like microfinance and micro-insurance can spark entrepreneurship, allowing people to transform their own lives.

And fourth, I would appoint an individual in the White House, reporting directly to me, with the rank of a Cabinet member, to oversee all of our efforts to fight global poverty. Despite its importance to our national security, the United States still lacks a comprehensive strategy to fight global poverty. We need to embrace the vision of John F. Kennedy, who recognized that "the Nation's interest and the cause of political freedom require" American efforts to lift up the world's poor.

I have my doubts that this initiative will put the world on course to ending poverty or significantly reducing it for that matter. It seems to me that the economies in the middle east where problems exist are basically poor because of govenment policies in those countries. For instance why is per capita GDP so low in Saudi Arabia? Is this due to U.S. policies or Saudi Arabian policies?

Almost all of them are upset at the Palestinian situation for example.

Hasn't a thing to do with the reasons for poorly performing economies in the Middle East.

[ QUOTE ]
The ones who actually perform the terrorists acts aren't the poorest ones, but that doesn't mean that the reason they are making the attacks is because of the awful socioeconomic situations in Muslim countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Political exploitation IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
If there is a perceived attack by the West on Islamic countries to "keep them down", some Muslims who are better off and radicalized might believe it is necessary to protect their "Muslim brothers".

[/ QUOTE ]

How is the U.S. keeping them down?

Anyway here's an economic synopsys of some countries in the middle east that have been identified with supporting terrorism.

Saudi Arabia

Yeman

Egypt

Syria

Iran

Take a look at the synopsys for property rights in all of these. To blame this on the United States is stupid for lack of a better word.

Ranking for All Countries