Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Default 6 Handed SNG 10/1 did I play this right?

This is my first post and first hand conversion so if it is incorrect I apologize.

I am on a huge decline right now, getting horrible beat after horrible beat so I'm worried about tilt factor even though I don't think I'm on tilt. I play mainly 6 player 10/1 SNG's on FullTilt. I consider myself a break even player but I do have a ROI at 10%, which was around 15-20% a month ago. The whole table is very passive but there have been some sick calls as you would expect from 10/1 SNG's. What would have been any proper plays here compaired to what I did. I know you would need more details on how they played, but first from your first initial reaction to a standard game, is it correct?

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t80 (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

UTG <font color="#A500AF">(UTG)</font> (t2505)
Button <font color="#A500AF">(Button)</font> (t2450)
Hero (t1635)
BB <font color="#A500AF">(BB)</font> (t2410)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG <font color="#A500AF">(UTG)</font> calls t80, Button <font color="#A500AF">(Button)</font> calls t80, Hero completes, BB <font color="#A500AF">(BB)</font> checks.

Flop: (t320) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t320</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1555 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t1235.

Turn: (t3430) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t3430) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3430

Results below: <font color="#0000FF">
Hero has 6d 5d (high card, king).
UTG has Kh 4d (one pair, kings).
Outcome: UTG wins t3430. </font>
Old 07-21-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: 6 Handed SNG 10/1 did I play this right?

right play wrong outcome, unless u can put utg on a flush draw u gotta play this for all of ur chips
Old 07-21-2007, 05:12 PM

I'd call the flop and re-evaluate the turn. This hand is pretty cut and dry, we're almost definately behind any villian holding at the moment, since we only have 6 high, and we have 15 outs that are pretty solid, I'm not worried about a higher FD here or a better straight, although they are minor considerations. So if we count all 15 as full outs, we're still only about 33% to win, so we need 2 to 1 implied odds to call, which I think we're getting here. Shoving isn't a good option, because we're giving the villian almost 2 to 1 to call, I didn't run this through SNGWiz but I'm guessing we don't have the FE to shove.

Calling and missing the turn hurts, and we probably have to release the hand at that point, but it doesn't cripple us. we'll still have about 15xBB stack to work with, but if we hit we're probably doubling up.

BTW, it's not good to give the results, even in white. They don't matter and only taint your replies. That said I'd put him on a K anyway, and I think we double up almost every time we hit the straight, and maybe half the time we hit the flush (because it'll be more obvious that we got there) for purposes of estimating implied odds.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
right play wrong outcome, unless u can put utg on a flush draw u gotta play this for all of ur chips

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but this is terrible advice. I'd only make this shove IF I could somehow know he's on a FD, since I only think we have the FE to shove if he is.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:17 PM

Flat calling is pretty bad for nearly 1/5 of our stack here. I think this is an easy shove because a huge overbet is usually a weak holding and we usually have plenty of FE. We're not on the bubble yet so I'd be aggressive with this draw. Nice shove.

OP, leave out the results next time and the cards beyond your action.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flat calling is pretty bad for nearly 1/5 of our stack here. I think this is an easy shove because a huge overbet is usually a weak holding and we usually have plenty of FE. We're not on the bubble yet so I'd be aggressive with this draw. Nice shove.

OP, leave out the results next time and the cards beyond your action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note: Damn I hate disagreeing with gator, but...

I don't see it as a huge overbet, it was a PS bet if my math is right. And yes, under most circumstances flat calling a big chunk of our stack is bad. I just think this is one of those "other" times when the situation is pretty clear, and I think we have little FE, and stand to gain quite a bit when we hit. Also, we're not crippled by calling a re-evaluating.

I say we have little FE because it's a low buy-in tourney and we're giving utg about 2 to 1...

Still hate it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2007, 05:27 PM

I didn't mean overbet but I meant a relatively big bet. I think we have plenty of FE usually to make this +EV. Really depends on the opponent though. I really, really dislike calling. I'd almost rather fold because being OOP when we miss, we usually never get a free card if we check.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:35 PM

I do see your point...the ps bet pretty much screams "I got a king, please please give me this pot" so maybe we have some FE based on that read.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:45 PM

Old 07-21-2007, 07:06 PM

I think calling the flop is fairly bad if he bets more than about 1/2 pot.

CRAI is perfect - it may be a little transparent to some opponents, but you have big equity if they call anyway.