Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Fold aces preflop?

Maybe this is a very stupid question, so its OK if you tear me apart:

Is there a situation in omaha, where it would be correct to fold aces preflop?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Fold aces preflop?

yes
if the stackes is deep
and u were re-reraised not from moron
and you have some crap like A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4:diamond8:spades

probably you also should fold it if there is a lot of guys go all in (3+) preflop
Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
probably you also should fold it if there is a lot of guys go all in (3+) preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-17-2007, 06:16 AM

when you're sure from the stack sizes and betting sequence
that someone has the other Aces (yours are low quality) eg not suited , and another player comes along for the ride with a good defensive hand live cards lots of drawing potential eg 6789 double suited you can be in really bad shape.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:36 AM

I won't often fold aces preflop, but I found myself in this situation last night where I felt a fold was the only option.

Basically trapped in the blinds with a shortstack and another deepstacked player who's hand was made fairly clear.

Poker Stars - Pot Limit Omaha Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $796.95
Hero (BB): $360.25
UTG: $40.00
BTN: $347.85

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 Players)
UTG calls $2.00, <font color="red">BTN raises to $10.00</font>, SB calls $9.00, Hero calls $8.00, <font color="red">UTG raises all-in to $39.00</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $138.00</font>, 2 folds
Uncalled bet of $99.00 returned to BTN

Flop: ($98) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Turn: ($98) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

River: ($98) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $98.00 ($2 Rake)

BTN had J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a straight, Ten to Ace) and WON (+$58.00)
UTG had 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ([8h 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9c] (a pair of Kings)) and LOST (-$39.00)
Old 07-17-2007, 09:31 AM

Sometimes I fold AAAA preflop.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:30 PM

mixmaster... i am not sure if i like ur fold pf. dont u think btn is isolating against the shortstack here with a huge range that ur still ahead of?

i dont really have a clue about omaha so plz explain me why my reasoning is wrong, or maybe could be right...
Old 07-17-2007, 05:40 PM

I agree with fringsrache, he could be isolating with a lot of hands here. Especially because it does not look like either you or SB has aces, so he might try this with some hands you kill.

Some guys always have aces here though so it might be a good fold against one of them.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:03 AM

Sorry forgot to mention that the button was a fairly predicatble player who was fairly passive. His 4-bet, regardless of stack sizes and possible isolation, made me about 95% sure he had aces, and probably good ones.

SB is a retarded short-stack so his range is any 4 and I couldn't care less about him. If button was a solid opponent, reasonably aggressive or a bit looser, I would probably push in over the top, because if I was button, I would isolate with a much wider range and try and get it one-on-one with the SB who's range is pretty much anything.

So I guess this is one of those guys who always has aces here, which kind of negates my example, but I just wanted to show me folding aces preflop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 AM

Folding aces is much more common in Omaha Hi/Lo, where being naked can be twice as bad or worse.

Something to think about...folding aces preflop will usually be a small mistake, while mistakes you make post flop with aces tend to be much larger.