Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Burned by sets

My first 2+2 post =). Incredible forums here and great education. THANK YOU.

Now my question. I have been playing for a couple of months at the .5/.10 NLHE level (mostly 6max). After taking a few lumps for the first few weeks I have started to win consistently. I play a pretty tight aggressive style and build my stack slow and steady...then get burned by a set. A typical example would be when i have raised from middle position, get called by late or someone in the blinds. Flop gives me top pair w/ good kicker or even 2 pair. i make a half pot bet, get called again. Turn and River cards don't appear to be helpers and i make half pot bets both times (get called), then he flips over pocket 7's to make a set.

This seems to happen to me 3 or 4 times per week. How do i defend against these situations?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Burned by sets

Sets are among the biggest money earning hands you get, which is why players will call large raises with pocket pairs because they can make big pots when they hit and are well disguised. If you have AA, KK, or AK, and raise preflop and have more than 1 caller, you may very well be up against a set if a sizable flop bet gets called.

Controlling the pot size may be the best way to combat this. You should build the pot size when you are in a hand against one other player that you suspect has a big pocket pair less than yours. You should probably keep the pot small when you have a big pocket pair and have multiple callers on the flop, unless you hit trips yourself. You can't stop people from hitting trips but you can minimize your losses from it.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 PM

Betting only 1/2 pot on the flop doesn't really define your hand which makes it harder to guess right. If you raise nearer the pot then you can be more sure that might be up against a bigger hand. When they call a turn bet too you should be thinking they have something and consider checking the river or making only a small semi-blocking bet. Also, if there are no flush/straight draws out there then you can affort to bet smaller and keep the pot smaller. That way they will have to bet back at you to get a big pot from you which will tip you off.

Having said that, if the worst thing that is happening is you getting called on 3 1/2 pot bets then that's not too bad IMO. What is bad is getting stacked with your top pair.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:19 PM

I wouldn't normally triple barrel TPGK-type hands. If villain has a set and never raises then he is letting you off the hook. If you flop top two pair and villain has a set, then it's just bad luck.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:12 PM

Harrington gives an example of holding TPTK after the flop. He makes a standard 1/2 pot bet and is called, then bets the turn and is called. On the river, he says "He's just called two substantial bets. He's saying he has something better than a pair. Believe him and fold."
Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 PM

If this only happens 3 or 4 times a week, it's not an issue. Rather, it's standard. Also, it doesn't sound like an issue if all you're losing is a couple of half-pot bets. If you were felting these hands, that would be another case.

Sounds like you play these situations as well as one can. You can't stop betting these hands or else you won't get paid, will give free cards, and can't set up bluffs. You just can't help villains setting you - it's part of the game.