Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 04:41 PM

Default AKs early $119

game is a $110 + $9 Sit & Go (Turbo)
I think raising or limping aks is fine utg. I know the shove seems weird but I'm obv not folding and I don't want any callers behind so I would have to play a large multi-way pot and I don't want to play ak oop in a raised pot

Dealt to Hero[Kc Ac]
Hero calls 30
utg+1 calls 30
co calls 30
button calls 30
sb calls 15
bb raises to 240
Hero raises to 1,500, and is all in

thoughts?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: AKs early $119

Yucky spot. I think you could shove or let this go. Based on his big bet, I think there's about an 80% chance you're gonna be racing, with the rest split between him folding and having KK/AA.

Probably I let this go.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:36 PM

I'd fold it.

If you were to call I would not be too worried about a caller behind (I'd actually prefer one) just so if you hit the flop you have a better chance to stack someone. The chance of getting two callers behind seems pretty remote.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold it.

If you were to call I would not be too worried about a caller behind (I'd actually prefer one) just so if you hit the flop you have a better chance to stack someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ths doesn't make any sense at all to me, you are not happy if somebody else calls.

Anyway I think calling here is the best strategy, you have position and he could have well done that with AQ/AJ.

I think pushing here is border line since you have not much intrest in doubling up that early on a coinflip.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold it.

If you were to call I would not be too worried about a caller behind (I'd actually prefer one) just so if you hit the flop you have a better chance to stack someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ths doesn't make any sense at all to me, you are not happy if somebody else calls.

Anyway I think calling here is the best strategy, you have position and he could have well done that with AQ/AJ.

I think pushing here is border line since you have not much intrest in doubling up that early on a coinflip.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain is any good, he's definitely not doing this with AJ. I'm probably only doing this with like QQ+, and sometimes AK.

You can't really say it's cut & dry whether or not you want extra callers in the hand or not. If they have a hand like Ax or KQ obviously you want them to call because chances are good that you'll stack them if you hit. However, if they have paired hands, there are a handful of scenarios that can arise:
1. They call pf, flop an overpair or a set, you miss and check fold.
2. They call pf, flop an overpair/set, you hit also and get stacked.
3. They call pf, they miss their set, you hit your hand and they check/fold.
4. They call pf, they hit their set/overpair, you miss and check/fold.
5. They fold pf.

Not that I have any math to back it up, but it seems like on balance, having paired hands call pf is probably a little bit better than having them fold.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:39 PM

"I think raising or limping aks is fine utg"

This is the time where I think limping with AKs limits your options. With the number of other limpers and the strong raise from the BB, you have to push with a presumed check/raise appearance and live with the results.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is the time where I think limping with AKs limits your options. With the number of other limpers and the strong raise from the BB, you have to push with a presumed check/raise appearance and live with the results.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here limping increase your options. If you were to raise here and get three bet it is a pretty easy fold against most people. As played it's really read dependent and could be a fold or a shove. I will say this if you call you want some callers behind because it will be realy easy to play and people will be calling with hands they shouldn't/
Old 07-15-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Here limping increase your options. If you were to raise here and get three bet it is a pretty easy fold against most people. As played it's really read dependent and could be a fold or a shove. I will say this if you call you want some callers behind because it will be realy easy to play and people will be calling with hands they shouldn't/

[/ QUOTE ]

I bow to your expertise. So I gather you would state that it is better to limp AKs in early position and bet in mid and late position?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:10 PM

Neither limping nor raising is terrible. I like to raise personally because it seems I get flatcalled about 10x more than I get RRed. But maybe it's just the times I play.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:14 PM

i may be way off, but when is it OKay to limp AKs UTG in a turbo SNG? Raise it up to make middle pairs pay. If someone wakes up with a monster, you still have a chance to lay it down.