Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2006, 03:35 AM

Default 2/4 evidence I suck with small to mid PPs

Villain is 10.3/8.8/2.25 over about 50 hands

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (6.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB
Old 02-25-2006, 04:20 AM

Default Re: 2/4 evidence I suck with small to mid PPs

fold preflop. nothing else needs to be said.
if you attack the problem at the source, there wont be a problem
Old 02-25-2006, 06:23 AM

Fold preflop.

I don't like your flop play either... it's fine in many situations but that flop is the type that will encourage villian to keep on playing as opposed to something like K62.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:03 AM

Unless the table is playing such that you are almost guaranteed to get a lot of limpers you should muck this from EP. You're not getting enough on your money to flop a set.

Flop is not a good one to make a play on.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:45 PM

If folded to him in MP, instead of UTG, should he limp in with 66 or raise first in?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:00 PM

This hand right here is why I think the better part of valor is to either pump or dump when UTG. If you feel you suck with a hand like this, perhaps you should just dump it whenever you see 66/77/88, etc...

Of course, at an extremely loose and generally passive table (with some aggressive players). Limping UTG with these hands is a must. But you need to be willing to get away from them when they miss on the flop.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:06 PM

I like folding this preflop. But it's really close. I limp with sevens in an easy game and will always pop 88o. I think about it like this ... you limp UTG. UTG+1 limps with 78s, MP1 limps with T9o, MP2 limps with QJs, and the CO pops his AKo. Boy are you in trouble if you don't hit your set. And if you do they can still draw out on you.

If you pop it, you might get the smoothcall from QJs, and AKo with repop, but it's much easier to play the hand postflop if aces and paints don't come raining down on you.

You'd better make sure six people will limp in behind you if you just call UTG with the sixes. I think you make a mathematical argument for folding the sixes when the button raises and it's folded around to you. Just check/dump the flop.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:11 PM

Fold pf. You have to think about the hand in your position. 66 is a great hand on the button w/ 6 limpers or no limpers. First in from MP, I'm raising (depending on players behind me). EP... I'm not too much in love mith mid pockets. 99 or better, and raise it.

In saying that... I like the c/r on the flop (but vs a 10%er???). I would rather see a 9-hi flop and a little higher VPIP for that, but one broadway card isn't too bad. With the board pairing top card on turn, it's very tempting, and I would insta bet that. If they call, no more bets from me.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:24 PM

I think you guys are making too much of a big deal about pre-flop. I'll limp this UTG a bunch, particularly at 2/4 and below. I usually raise 88, and often 77. Limping 66 is probably fine at many tables given good post-flop play.

So let's talk about post-flop play.

If you are going to limp this, you need to try to extract the most you can when you hit a decent flop. This flop is okay, and I actually like the fact that you took an aggressive line. Two lines seem worth considering: check-raising the flop, and check-calling the flop and donking the turn. I like the first one the looser and more aggressive my opponent is (because we are more likely to be ahead, and because against that type of opponent we can't gaurentee that if we donk the turn we won't sometimes be raised by an inferior hand). I like the latter against a more passive opponent, who will react more truly to our turn donk, and against whom seeing a good turn card will do more to clarify the situation.

So my preferred line against this opponent would be to check-call the flop and donk the turn, but your line is a reasonably good one.

After you bet the turn and get called, you need to become very wary. The A is a terrible card and you were correct to check-fold.

I think everyone should think about what would be the correct play against other, safer rivers.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:38 PM

Even though the sample size is small I would give villian credit for at least a hand that beats 66 or can on a good draw, when he calls the flop raise. He doesn't pop you on the turn so I don't think he has a queen. If a non-face card falls on the river I would lead out and hope villian only has 1 ace and not two.