Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Looking to turn my life around

All,

Like many of you, a sedentary, poker-driven lifestyle has left me somewhat out of shape. Two positives have come from this, though. Firstly, I have a bankroll. Secondly, 2p2 has become an invaluable resource for any and all subjects. It's about time I utilize both of these to get me back in shape. I have made a prop bet with a friend to lose 40 pounds by November 1st. Because losing this weight is so important to me, I have 5k riding on the outcome. I have made this initial post to seek out some advice, not about losing weight (this won't be my first time, but any tips are appreciated), but instead to see what advice you guys have about maintaining a success/results thread. What should I be posting? Food, exercise, moods, weight, pictures? How often should I be posting? Daily, weekly, bi-weekly? Will I be bogging down this forum with something that is more blog-appropriate? As always, your responses are appreciated.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Looking to turn my life around

I think training logs and ongoing encouragement and feedback are one of the most valuable things this forum offers. There are a bunch of logs here already. Check out some of them for ideas of what to put in yours. For a starting point, I'd suggest your current height, weight, and bodyfat % if you know it. Some people have even posted pics. Also, your diet and exercise regimen. You seem to already have a good idea what you're going to do with regard to those. You may get some negative feedback. Try to take it as constructive criticism. Post as often as you feel you need to for motivation or whatever.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 AM

Colt,

I'll be going to the gym today to get a skinfold test. Pics will also be taken.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:13 AM

arberer, I'm in a similar situation to you. I've got a 9 person prop bet I'm participating in. In this thread, I'll be tracking my diet, workout routine, and body fat % over 12 weeks. I plan on updating weekly so feel free to check it out. I'm by no means an expert so hopefully some regulars will post advice as the competition progresses.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 AM

abarber,

You mention this isn't the first time you've done this. What went wrong the first time?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:59 AM

Check out some other threads that people are already doing. I have one. Reason being that this isnt the first time for him is he started playing poker. Poker became a priority and the fitness didnt. Thats my guess
Old 07-16-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out some other threads that people are already doing. I have one. Reason being that this isnt the first time for him is he started playing poker. Poker became a priority and the fitness didnt. Thats my guess

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. Long story short, when I first got to college, I ballooned to 280+ lbs. The thought of weighing nearly 300 pounds sickened me. I got very serious and dropped down to my all-time low of 215. I am actually afraid to get on the scale now for fear of what it might say. Needless to say, I am quite frustrated with myself.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. Long story short, when I first got to college, I ballooned to 280+ lbs. The thought of weighing nearly 300 pounds sickened me. I got very serious and dropped down to my all-time low of 215. I am actually afraid to get on the scale now for fear of what it might say. Needless to say, I am quite frustrated with myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

How tall are you? What do you think is an ideal weight for you?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:38 AM

6'4''. My goal has always been 200. Off to the gym, guys. Will be posting measurements and pics this afternoon. Thanks for the interest, btw.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:45 PM

One thing that has really helped me is getting my workout done first thing in the morning. I have an addicitve personality. Now, when I get up in the morning I have a routine that I am addicted too. Get up, start computer download, feed dogs, start computer automated process, read email, drink ice tea, work-out.

It has become pretty hard for me not to follow my routine in the morning. Now I plan for it. Want to schedule me for anything before 10am? Nope, I've got plans. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------Meow