Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 10:58 PM

Default improving your game NLTRN

I've been playing HU sng's for a while now but I've had problems moving up limits and I go through some pretty rough swings. So I've decided to take my game to the next level and really close some of the leaks in my game for good. I read cwar's post where he mentioned reviewing his hand histories daily. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or guidelines for doing so. You know, in order to get the most out of it and such.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: improving your game

The process for me was look at every hand and every decision for a while until I got a handle on every aspect of every decision, most ppl arent as OCD as me tho.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:28 PM

Find somebody at your mind level, generally at your buyin range or higher (but there are players with good minds that play lower level HU games for whatever reason still) and do a peer review with them or just talk poker in general.

From time to time I get away from default play, basically play without solid reads, and it hurts me. I think the weakness in my game has always been the standard optimal line when knowing nothing about your opponent, so I've gotten a lot of good advice and learned a lot from several players that are in this forum as well as a few that are not. For you it may be something different, but learning by playing and reviewing on your own complimented by a couple HU guys to talk to is in my opinion the best way to learn.

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 PM

I don't have quite as much time as I would like to play poker, so alot of my improvement comes from adjustments while playing. Although I completely understand that it's easier to be critical and analytical of one's game while not actually playing, I feel like my game is improving when I concentrate and am really actively thinking at the table. I've been working a lot lately on setting up an image, and trying to figure out exactly what my opponent thinks of me before obviously switching gears. It's helped me alot to physically try different techniques and plays, especially because HU players get these opportunities a bit more often than 6 max and full ring players.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 PM

I definitely agree that the most useful thing is playing and trying new things on your own.

You have to make sure you have a clear head and are focusing to get the most out of it or you will find yourself in periods of time where you are not improving much, if at all (I've been there over blocks of games).

The other stuff is secondary in my mind, but it is extremely helpful in improving your game.