Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 03:31 AM

Default what do i do here?

kinda new to these forums but i was wondering what to do in this hand here. Im under the gun with KK with blinds at 60/120. I raise it to 450 with a stack around 5K and am called by a middle position player who has less than me and then by the big blind who has me covered. Flop comes 4A8 rainbow. Big Blind checks what do i do?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Re: what do i do here?

What's the buy in? Anyway I would do either of a few different things based on stacks and reads. Betting 700 or 800 will get a better hand to call and worse hand to fold, which sounds ugly but on the other hand it gives you the information you want to know for cheap so you can give it up easily. If you check then you'll have to reevaluate. If MP bets and BB calls then obv give it up, if MP bets around half pot or a little over and BB folds you could call and try to get a read on the turn. From raising that big UTG they know you either have TT+ or AQ+ most likely, and check calling makes your hand look a lot like underpair. I'd either lead out and then give it up or check fold. Sucks but you really don't want to play big pot here.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:24 AM

Checking should definately not be an option.Of course you didn't want to see the A,but unfortunately you did.This is one of those times when a c-bet is a must,because although you hated the A,there's a big chance that you still have the best hand.

A bet of 1000 or 2/3 of the pot is good here.If anyone calls,then you should give up here,highly unlikely anyone would call here unless they have the A or a set.

Next time,include the type of tourney,buy in,any reads you might have on the players etc etc. All of these things matter in your decisionmaking,but without any info,I'd say the general line here is the c-bet,and check/fold if you face resistance.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:14 PM

Ya well actually i ended up checking and a 7 came on the turn and i ended up betting the pot and the big blind called. The river drew a blank and he went all in. I didnt put him on an ace and i called. He had 56 hearts and i lose to a straight.