Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 AM

Default I checked PF OOP

I open in CO, Button, SB and BB call, before the flop is even out I jokingly say "check!"

Dealer says I can't bet.

Standard?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Re: I checked PF OOP

Standard, if they both check, you have to check also. If one of them bets, you can raise
Old 07-08-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I open in CO, Button, SB and BB call, before the flop is even out I jokingly say "check!"

Dealer says I can't bet.

Standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

I once did the same thing in a 3-handed game, and was held to the check. Both of the other players said that they knew that I was joking and that the check should not be enforced in the interest of the fun spirit of the game. No dice.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:31 PM

This varies from room to room. I think that it's more common that action out of turn is not binding. I'd make sure I knew the rules before goofing around too much.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that it's more common that action out of turn is not binding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really true? In my experience, it's very common that action out of turn, is binding. And if it is the case, it seems like it would allow to much angleshooting.

For example, heads up pot, button says check before opponent acts, opponent thinks hes getting a free card so he checks, then button decides to bet since opponent showed weakness.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:34 PM

I've seen a lot of people/places say that acting out of turn is not binding, but I don't like it. I like Robert's Rule:

[ QUOTE ]
11. Deliberately acting out of turn will not be tolerated. A player who checks out of turn may not bet or raise on the next turn to act. A player who has called out of turn may not change his wager to a raise on the next turn to act. An action or verbal declaration out of turn is binding unless the action to that player is subsequently changed by a bet or raise. If there is an intervening call, an action may be ruled binding.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-08-2007, 07:22 PM

I had a guy check/raise from the button last week at Ceasar's Palace. He also raised the flop in another hand and tried to pretend it was a mistake, but the raise stood, and of course he'd flopped the nuts.

Checking OOP (which is really checking in position) is a better 'joke' to make than the faux shove: "I'm all in. Just kidding." I've seen that one enough times to make my head spin.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a lot of people/places say that acting out of turn is not binding, but I don't like it. I like Robert's Rule:

[ QUOTE ]
11. Deliberately acting out of turn will not be tolerated. A player who checks out of turn may not bet or raise on the next turn to act. A player who has called out of turn may not change his wager to a raise on the next turn to act. An action or verbal declaration out of turn is binding unless the action to that player is subsequently changed by a bet or raise. If there is an intervening call, an action may be ruled binding.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one for the win.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So wait, if somebody checks out of turn, and then there is a bet ahead of them, the person who acted too soon can't raise? I understand the intent of the rule, but not allowing a raise seems a bit goofy. The rule should prevent someone from checking out of turn to induce a bet, but at the same time another player should not be allowed to take advantage of someone who made a genuine mistake.

I got into a conversation about this very thing with a floorman at the Borg this weekend, and we both agreed that the player should be allowed to raise. I guess we were wrong, at least according to Robert's Rules.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So wait, if somebody checks out of turn, and then there is a bet ahead of them, the person who acted too soon can't raise? I understand the intent of the rule, but not allowing a raise seems a bit goofy. The rule should prevent someone from checking out of turn to induce a bet, but at the same time another player should not be allowed to take advantage of someone who made a genuine mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you determine whether it was a genuine mistake or an angle-shot?