Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:26 AM

Default New To LO8

Hi all, I am new new to 2+2. I am looking to learn a new game and have chose LO8 to learn. The main reason is at UB that is the lowest limit game they offer. Yes I understand that is good and bad but I have no problem working my way up. That is what I did in holdem and I have no problem doing so in a different game. From what I have read my current bankroll will let me play much higher than .02/.04 but for now that is what I choose to play until I learn the ropes. My first couple of questions are....

1. What is the typical buy in for a LO8 game? Is it the same limit holdem being 25-30 BB's?

2. In a BB ratio what is good LO8 bankroll? My goal is to never reload so in holdem I lived by the 300 BB rule.

3. What are good LO8 books to read?

4. I am using a point counting system to determine if my starting hands are good or not. Is this a good idea? If not then please point me to somewhere that will help with this major adjustment.

I will quit with the questions for now. Hopefully I will be able to add some hand histories soon.

J
Old 07-12-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Re: New To LO8

You can find many threads on those topics by using the search fuction. Good luck at the tables.

cgkid
Old 07-12-2007, 01:38 AM

I can answer 3 and maybe 4...

3. Capelletti's book is what I read when I first learned LO8...I think Super System 2 is a pretty decent read for a beginner...
4. Point count system is fine for just starting out IMO...It's a bit mechanical, but I don't think that is the worst way to learn the game...Play it sorta like a robot until you get your feel and then start to "slowly ditch" the point system for a game that is based more on feel and logic...

Definitely post hands and read what others at higher levels of LO8 are doing...I can't tell you how much reading these forums and posting my trouble hands (and getting advice) has helped my PLO8 game...This forum has definitely been invaluable...

Best of luck
Old 07-12-2007, 02:09 AM

Also check out o8poker.com. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 PM

For reading I would choose a book, both Dolly's and Cappelletti's seem good, and then Google the heck out of O8 articles: "omaha hi lo strategy," "omaha 8 articles" and so on and so forth. I have books worth of articles printed. Sam Mudaro has a bunch of mathematically oriented articles posted online at pokerplayersnewspaper or similar, with excel tables and stuff, if you like the bean-counting approach, and his views are a bit alternative to the standard online articles.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:07 PM

I liked Phil Hellmuths "Play Poker like the Pros"

Covers nicely the basics of omaha h/l and other limit games. It also gives some basic advise how to read people and adjust accordingly.