Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 07:38 PM

Default River decision - 3-bet for value?

This was an interesting hand at the end.
Villain is loose preflop and pretty passive. Haven't seen him do anything out of line, pretty straightforward LPP.

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 Limit Hold'em - 9 players
Expert Poker Coaching at DeucesCracked.com

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: (4.00 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#FF0000">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.00 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Check-raised failed. I thought my flush was disguised pretty well and he's c-bet turn 90% of the time. He didn't.

River: (4.00 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">MP2 raises</font>, Hero ???

Hero has about 15 seconds to decipher what the villain has in the hole and whether to 3-bet or call ... timer starts ... NOW!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: River decision - 3-bet for value?

3 bet, beat his Tx.

he checked the turn btw b/c he was scared of the A (not the flush) IMO.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Hero calls. He could be coming alive with 2 pair, trips or with a full house if he was afraid of the flush on the turn. Probably not a flush though.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 bet, beat his Tx.

he checked the turn btw b/c he was scared of the A (not the flush) IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree ... if he caps.. well it sucks ! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2007, 09:15 PM

This is tough but I'd probably just call. The way it works out is that he shows JT if you call and T9 if you reraise. I might check the river as well.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:45 PM

I'm 3-betting. An angel will get it's wings when Villain turns over JTo.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:46 PM

i lean toward 3betting over calling but i agree with shill that it's pretty close. i actually think higher flushes are a nonzero part of his range.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is tough but I'd probably just call. The way it works out is that he shows JT if you call and T9 if you reraise. I might check the river as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

?? shill ... we have KT, QT, JT vs T9 (and perhaps a lame AT)

how isn't this an easy 3bet?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:05 AM

Well, dang, we only got veterans answering this ... where are n00bs? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, after he popped the river, I semi-tanked and replayed the hand in my head. With raise on the flop, I was pretty certain he hit top pair at least. That narrows us down to AT, KT, QT, JT, T9, 66, 99, TT. Flush hands are unlikely, he's too passive and bad for a free card play.

I have to call, obv. The board flushed and ace showed. I'm sure he didn't put me on the flush draw, so he's afraid of the ace.
This eliminates AT, 66, 99, TT. He'd bet the best hand even if he tought I was holding Ax for two pair at this point. His check also confirmed that flush is very unlikely.

His range now JT, QT, KT, T9 (in the order of likelihood - based on limping in MP2).

Once I lead the river, he obv pops with any of these, remember that he doesn't believe hero is holding a flush.

Hero assumes that he's ahead 75% of the time and 3-bets. Villain calls and shows down Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T:heard: for a set.

Hero is very proud of himself for reading the villain and making an extra BB on the river as he pulls in the pot!

Crap, did it turn out to be a brag post? Not intended ... I thought it was a good example that when the river pairs it's not automatic call down mode.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:07 AM

If you can fold to a cap then i'd 3-bet.