Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Blatant David Sklansky Bashes OK?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD

NNNNOOOOONAN -

[ QUOTE ]
you really do suck at N,V,G.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wheelzie -

[ QUOTE ]
who fuggin cares

[/ QUOTE ]

bettygs -

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is wrong with you David

[/ QUOTE ]

MaxRaises -

[ QUOTE ]
STFU David Sklansky

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all within like 11 posts for a completely reasonable OP by david
Old 07-11-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Blatant David Sklansky Bashes OK?

It may be the attraction of NVG to some of its rabble that they can say such things to DS and be allowed to get away with it, but this is probably part of the reason that many other poker personalities choose not to post at the site in general, their not knowing the nuances of the content of the various forums.

It would need a major and consistent clampdown on what have become standard and acceptable negative comments to make any significant change in this area - and disallowing such comments made against DS, only, would be meaningless to all.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:30 AM

Wheelzie got banned for the censor dodge, the other two are iffy. I'm watching that thread.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It may be the attraction of NVG to some of its rabble that they can say such things to DS and be allowed to get away with it, but this is probably part of the reason that many other poker personalities choose not to post at the site in general, their not knowing the nuances of the content of the various forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a side note, I think the vast majority of problem posters we have encountered in the strat/non "fun" forums (politics being the exception - they are a surly bunch anyway) think the NVG/BBV style of posting is ok throughout the forums. As a forum I don't think we have done a good job explaining to the user that NVG/BBV is a special place where an "anything goes" style is more acceptable.

I don't have a solution, just pointing out the obvious in hopes that as a team we can think of ways to better communicate with the users.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but this is probably part of the reason that many other poker personalities choose not to post at the site in general,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I made this OP

[ QUOTE ]

It would need a major and consistent clampdown on what have become standard and acceptable negative comments to make any significant change in this area

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
- and disallowing such comments made against DS, only, would be meaningless to all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2007, 03:10 PM

I think this is about as good as it's going to get. I've long believed that a "gossip" forum did more to lower "quality" discussion on this site than all of the worst posts in OOT.

DS doesn't mind what's being said about him. The pros who won't post, I have heard, still love to read that forum, and I believe that the current entertainment value of NVG would be reduced vastly if we tried to squelch the tone.

After all that, those afraid wouldn't do much posting anyway. That's how I see it. But I'm open to other views and suggestions. If crackdowns on NVG are really wanted, they will have my official support.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

After all that, those afraid wouldn't do much posting anyway. That's how I see it. But I'm open to other views and suggestions. If crackdowns on NVG are really wanted, they will have my official support.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was more "asking the question" than saying that i felt strongly about cracking down on NVG
Old 07-11-2007, 03:33 PM

The crackdown would need to be so harsh and for so long that if you are correct in your belief that not many more poker personalities would post anyway, (and I think you are), it certainly wouldn't be worth the effort, unless you noticed a drop off in numbers of ordinary folk reading and posting with it continuing mostly as is.

IMO, as long as the mods don't allow the vicious DIAF-type posts, the general and sometimes amusing name-calling is probably an acceptable compromise to most people. Locking threads quickly that disintegrate into abuse also sends an unspoken message that if the only things that are said are negative, there will be less chance for threads seemingly lacking in potential developing into decent ones, as they often can in an Other Topics forum where some very funny guys hang out.