Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Default More horror: 24+2 (AJ on A 6 6 flop)

Blinds 40/80

Table is exceptionally weak, and while I don't like betting AJo UTG, this table will stack off with second pair, and Ax on dry boards. Villain1 will minbet any flop he's checked to and then call any raise for at least one street. Villain2 plays weird as well.

Hero (2025)
Villain1 (2480), button
Villain2 (5650), BB

Hero UTG raises to 200 with, Villain1 calls, Villain2 calls.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot = 600)

Hero checks, Button bets 80, BB insta-raises to 600, Hero ?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: More horror: 24+2 (AJ on A 6 6 flop)

shove .80 bet is typical steal of a donkey 600 is ace or flush draw
Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 PM

I dunno, Barry. I respect you and your posts a lot, but wasn't there more or less a consensus in your thread on non-standard play that the way to go is to play tighter rather than otherwise (not to mention your own injunction against playing AJ OOP)?

I've been paying attention to my own play since you started that thread, and it seems to me that I get good results from tightening up, and I lose when I get lazy and start playing hands like A9-AJ OOP.

So, notwithstanding your description of the villains, I would say fold pre-flop, fold post-flop.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:19 PM

Cheb,

That's fair, and one of my biggest weaknesses is getting aggressive with AJo from EP. However, at this table, we are talking about getting MASSIVE value from JK, JQ, J10, and Ax hands + flush draws that play passive pre flop / donktastic post. Furthermore, the blinds are still small enough so that if I miss, I miss, so be it.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 PM

Fold. You can't be the BB, although you are probably ahead of the button.

BTW, how did you get to act before the BB on the flop? is this a check/raise? Or is the action wrong?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 PM

barry...dunno...even on a loose table I've been staying away from getting nuts with A in EP too...just never seem to have a plan that works for most flops...maybe limp if table isnt raising or just open fold...maybe a leak on me?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:29 PM

It's not possible that BB is playing A10 this way, after I showed weakness and he doesn't think I have an ace? Or a flush draw? Or he's lag and playing air? Having said that, yes, I didn't get the action right when writing this; also, villain2 had K6. It's time to re-evaluate AJo and my aggression with other hands altogther in these tournaments.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not possible that BB is playing A10 this way, after I showed weakness and he doesn't think I have an ace? Or a flush draw? Or he's lag and playing air? Having said that, yes, I didn't get the action right when writing this; also, villain2 had K6. It's time to re-evaluate AJo and my aggression with other hands altogther in these tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems possible that villain 1 has an A, but IMO, a guy making a re-raise this big on the flop is never worse than AJ.