Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Checkup: Blind Battle

Live 15-30.

Folded to SB, a winning/thinking/all-around-good player, who raises. (Two-and-three-chip structure.) I call out of the big blind with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Flop 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He bets, I raise, he calls.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He bets and I raise, planning to bet a blank river and take a free showdown on many (non-Q) broadway rivers and all diamonds. (I'm also folding to many river donkbets, but that's more a SB-dependent thing, I think.)

--Mike
Old 07-06-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Checkup: Blind Battle

er, why exactly did you decide to raise the turn? When people donk the turn hu like this they usually have a made hand of some sort.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 AM

not sure why you raised the turn. you gain nothing really, except making it more expensive to suckout when behind and he 3 bets his AdKh.

i understand the play with a hand like 66-88. with your Q9 i would just call it down and maybe fold a diamond river.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
er, why exactly did you decide to raise the turn? When people donk the turn hu like this they usually have a made hand of some sort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vma--

Mike's hand fares pretty well against {made hands of some sort}.

--Nate
Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 PM

I am always curious about limit blind battles...Is it too weak a play to just fold q9o here??
Old 07-06-2007, 12:30 PM

i'm no expert but i think folding q9 is pretty horrible in blind battles...
Old 07-06-2007, 12:53 PM

I like making your play against that player type early in a session. I say that because while you've identified him as smart you haven't said if you know what he thinks about YOU. His bet could be him having the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] that he peeled the turn with and deciding to bet the 'scary' K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] into you because it might fold you and if it didn't then he's got his draw. If I think that might be the case I like to raise in order to tell him 'Take your scary card bet and stick it up your......' to give him something to think about from then on forward. If he thinks that you are just as smart as he is I wouldn't be too quick to raise that turn. There are a number of levels at work in this hand and I don't think any ABC-poker type of analysis is going to reveal a 'proper' way to play the hand.

Just some thoughts....

Plus:

?????????????
Old 07-06-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vma--

Mike's hand fares pretty well against {made hands of some sort}.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate,
I'm not so sure--can you provide range+pstove? I also don't like the idea of getting blown off outs if he 3-bets or blowing him off a hand with 2 outs.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live 15-30.

Folded to SB, a winning/thinking/all-around-good player, who raises. (Two-and-three-chip structure.) I call out of the big blind with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Flop 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He bets, I raise, he calls.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He bets and I raise, planning to bet a blank river and take a free showdown on many (non-Q) broadway rivers and all diamonds. (I'm also folding to many river donkbets, but that's more a SB-dependent thing, I think.)

--Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this on the internet alot and it works well, but it is probably spew live. Also, this opponent if he is good will take this play away from you in the future by calling turn and donking river with all his hands putting you in a bad spot no matter what he has.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:03 PM

call turn fast, fold river donk.