Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Hey all!

Hello all,

I just signed up today and I have been playing poker now for about 4 years off and on. I have mostly played online, with only a few occassions at B&M, (Only 2 B&M tournaments), I have to be honest and say up to this point I have not been a winning player, but would like to change that. Don't get me wrong I have had several winning sessions, I won an Omaha Hi/Lo mtt, a Limit Holdem mtt, and finished 6th in a deuce to seven triple draw limit mtt ( I am proud of this one because it was only the third time I had attempted this game), and cashed in several over a couple of months and made around 2500$. Being only a part-time player I cashed out about 2200$ of it and lost the remaining 300$. Since I am being honest when I first started playing in late 2003 I lost several 50$ deposits and I mean enough that there is no way I could keep track. So I have went broke several times.

Now after saying all of that I would like to state that I am very interested in every aspect of poker and all different games. I don't think I will ever be a pro, since I am a husband and a father, (and expecting another in Dec.). I do dream of WSOP bracelets and WPT titles and sitting elbow to elbow to Negranu, Fischman, Greenstein, and the Brunsons. I however do not know if this is realistic but it is a dream and everyone has one.

I am now posting here because I like reading everyone elses post and thought I would start one of my own. I would like to improve my game and I thought getting involved in the forum instead of passively reading them was a start, and I have heard that the best players post here and from what I have read I can tell this is true.

Any questions/comments are very welcome and I am looking forward to it So Please Do!

Thanks All!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Hey all!

welcome to the forums. my advice would be to stick to one game that you favor( NLHE, LHE,PLO, ETC..)and stick to that game.start of in micros, posting hands etc. 2nd, you need to study whatever game your playing. books like "the theory of poker" by sklansky is a must for all games."getting started in holdem" by miller,"small stakes holdem winning big with expert play" miller sklansky, malmouth,"harrington on holdem" volumes 1+2.... again, depending on what game you decide. also, i would learn about bankroll management a bit, there are plenty of threads on this topic here.one other note, while posting hands here is a "must" at improving your play, iwill advise to wear thick skin, some replies will be harsh at times. do not take it personal. the advice you'll get here, although harsh at times, is the best. your definatly in the right place. good luck and see you in the forums.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Thank you very much, and for all of you that will recognize my name be harsh and critical because I will not take offense and will only use it to help my game. Soon I will try to post some hands once I get back into playing again. Right now my wife and I are in the middle of moving and trying to locate employment for her in different areas of the country so soon I will return and I will start out micro as fuzz66 suggested. I must admit starting off too much too quick was a problem and from what I have read on this forum and in different books that seems to be common.

Thanks again and keep the comments coming!

Btw if anyone has any suggestions on any good Omaha books please direct me in that direction I might take fuzz66's advice and stick to Omaha, and by this do you mean sticking to Omaha Hi only for example for a time period and can I mix it up with some Hi/Lo for example? Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:10 PM

The more you narrow down the range of games which you play, the faster you will (theoretically) improve in those games. That includes everything--each different discipline of poker, no limit vs pot limit vs fixed limit, hi/lo vs hi only, and even the stakes at which you play. Each variation above requires different skills to beat, including the various stakes.

That said, you also need to be honest with yourself and about your goals in poker. Thus far it appears that you've been a recreational player only, lost some money, and then hit a couple of good sized tournament wins. You say that you dream of one day rubbing elbows with the greats at a WSOP final table...well, join the club. I think everyone who takes a seat & antes up does. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But if your core goal, above all else, is just to have fun & play some cards, then play whatever kind of poker you want to. If you feel like playing hold'em then play that for the night, if you're more in the mood for Omaha, then find an open seat at an Omaha table. The one thing I would definitely recommend you do not change are the stakes you're playing for, at least until you've built up your skills and have the proper bankroll to move up to a higher limit. If you approach the game correctly, actively participate on these forums, do your offline studying, and review your sessions to look for places you could improve, then guess what? You will improve, and you will soon find yourself beating up on the microlimit online opponents. Whether you play pot limit omaha hi every single session or change things up each time you play. So it basically comes down to whether you'd prefer to become a pretty good Omaha player relatively quickly, or take your time and become pretty good at all your games, eventually.

Keep in mind that, especially at the microstakes, the "other" poker games that are commonly spread online (omaha, stud, lowball...anything but hold'em) are gold mines for anyone with even rudimentary poker skills. Play tight and you'll win, period. Play tight & aggressive and you'll annhilate the competition. So if you do decide to focus on one particular game, then Omaha is probably a good choice.

I wish I could help you with a book recommendation, but I still haven't gotten around to reading any of my Omaha books. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 PM

Thanks Harv,
Your advice sounds solid and you are right I have to this point been a recreational player, and have definetely lost more than I would have liked. I can tell you the books I have read, which are Phil Hemuth Play Poker Like the Pros, Super System, Scott Fischmans' Online Ace, The Art of War and Tournament Poker, Beat Texas Holdem (this one kinda sucked, and I think that was it. Helmuths book is the only one with Omaha in it and I was not thrilled with it. I am planning on restablishing my BR to about 300$ in the next could of months and sticking to Omaha MTTS. I can't help but be honest though and say I will probably play some 2-7 TD or a holdem tourney from time to time because I get the urge. Maybe sticking to 3-10$ buy-ins, does this sound acceptable or should I stick to low limit cash games first or SNG's. Any suggestions about this strategy or other things that have helped others are greatly appreciated and if anyone else reads this feel free to post a response or email me at nosaj_poker@hotmail.com, my poker only email.

thanks

BTW again if anyone has anyone has any suggestions on good Omaha, 2-7 TD, or other forms of poker books that are really good it is appreciated thanks again.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 PM

Hi there, Baby Mantis! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2007, 10:36 PM

sup!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:13 PM

Welcome to the forums,,,I see you play a variety of poker games. I personally stick with one poker game as I want to master all aspects of it. No Limit Hold'em.

I see a lot of players venture into Omaha, stud, 7 card stud, lowball, etc... I think that people would be better off trying to master one game, then move on if your board.

I'll say that 2 books have helped me quite a bit with my game. Harrington on Hold'em # 1 and 2. Even though they are made for tourneys, the principles apply to cash games as well. I've made 100x + over the cost of the books.