Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 08:30 AM

Default ATo on the bubble

It's 21 ppl left 20 get paid. I've got 10xBB, a bit under average, and it gets folded to me in middle position. What to do with my ATo? The last 10+ hands the table has been insanely tight, with ppl folding to the blinds, and the first raiser always picks up the pot. Keeping in mind the fact that there are two extremely short stacks (~2xBB) on another table, is this a push, fold or min-raise?
Old 01-21-2006, 08:34 AM

Default Re: ATo on the bubble

A lot depends on the short stacks, such as how close are they to busting, how close are they to the blinds, etc.?

You are not at a full table. There are only 7 people at your table. With the early folds, you are effectively in a 3 or 4 handed game. AT preflop is pretty strong underthose kinds of circumstances. You have to be raising here. The other stacks are going to go before you most likely. You have to be thinking forward to building your stack to enough to make the FT.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:07 AM

Default Re: ATo on the bubble

If the table is really playing as tight as you say it is, then i would make a min raise or 3xBB raise (rather than a push). If you push, and get called you will probably be behind most, if not all of the time. Also, if someone calls your raise you can be pretty sure your behind considering how tight the table is and fold if the flop misses you, but still leave yourself more chips than the extremely short stacks on the other table