Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 05:41 PM

Default 2007/08 Cleveland Cavaliers Thread

As a Cavs fan I would LOVE to see Darko Milicic in Cleveland. The challenge in getting him or any other prized free agaent lies in dumping what most fans would consider the dead weight. 2008 salaries:

Eric Snow: $6.7 million
Donyell Marshall: $5.6 million
Damon Jones $4.2 million
Ira Newble: $3.4 million
David Wesley: $1.8 million

Wesley's salary, by NBA standards, is negligible. At first glance it might seem Snow is making too much but he contributes to the team in so many ways that don't appear on stat sheets that this may not be the case. IMO he would be the easiest to unload if they wanted to because there are many young teams who are in desperate need of some veteran leadership.
The Cave might be able to unload D-Jones and Marshall is some sort of package deal, but what would they get in return? More than likely: One or two troubled players who have never lived up to potential. Lateral move.
Couple all this with teams tendencies to overpay for any big man, and Darko to Cleveland, while enticing, seems ultimately unlikely.

An interesting idea I've heard is the team signing restricted free agent Steve Blake from the Denver Nuggets. I'm all for this. Having seen quite a few Nuggets games last season, his court smarts, deft passing, and up-tempo style are exactly what we need. Plus he's a damn good shooter as well. Danny Ferry loves him. And the Cavs can afford him.

The Cav's wont get any immediate draft help, so no question moves have to be. I'm interested in what develops, and in what any other Cavs fans (or even haters) here think.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: 2007/08 Cleveland Cavaliers Thread

If you're mentioning dead weight, then you need to start w/ Larry Hughes.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Hughes is at the beginning of his contract and due to make $12 million this year. I don't think there is any way the Cavs are going to be able to move him, so it's pretty much cross your fingers and hope he produces. I'd like to see a true point guard come in and Hughes can be kind of a floater between the 1 and 2 depending on matchups/situations/foul trouble, etc.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:07 PM

No one wants DJones, Marshall or Snow. They suck & their contracts suck.

Newble & Wesley's contracts expire next year, so there are potential trades there, but the Cavs really don't have any other assets.

I don't see what the Cavs can really do. Hope Boobie gets better & resign Varejao. I'd try to sign a guy like Matt Carroll to give you a few minutes at SG for like $1.5m/yr or so. As of now, I see Toronto & Chicago having better teams next year.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:15 PM

Drew Gooden is getting some interest around the league...Might be some value there depending on what they could get in return.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:58 PM

The Cavs cannot be happy with just appearing in the Finals; Ferry must go out this offseason and be very active in trying to improve the long-term standing of the team.

Without cap space, imrpoving the team may be hard, but Ferry must be creative. Only 3 teams have a lot of cap space, so the Cavaliers are not alone in that respect.

Hopefully a trade this summer can make the future look brighter because there is a lot of dead weight on this team and with a good move or two, the potential for this team to become a mainstay in the ECF and NBA Finals for the next 5 years is strong.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Cavs cannot be happy with just appearing in the Finals; Ferry must go out this offseason and be very active in trying to improve the long-term standing of the team.

Without cap space, imrpoving the team may be hard, but Ferry must be creative. Only 3 teams have a lot of cap space, so the Cavaliers are not alone in that respect.

Hopefully a trade this summer can make the future look brighter because there is a lot of dead weight on this team and with a good move or two, the potential for this team to become a mainstay in the ECF and NBA Finals for the next 5 years is strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The question is who can they move, and what can they get? Ferry wants in the draft as well, so I am expecting something today. What, I have no idea.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:11 AM

Cavs should simply move Hughes for a much inferior player who fits the system better and maybe has one less year on his [censored] contract.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:25 AM

The Cavs' assets

LeBron
Varajeo
Gooden
Gibson
Pavlovic

That's pretty pathetic beyond LeBron, and they also have an awful amount of dead weight.

IMO Cavs have hit their first peak, and I definitely think LeBron will get a couple rings in his career, but it may not be with the Cavs, and they won't be as good as last year's team any time soon.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:33 AM

No such player exists, Vyse. Hughes is the single least valuable property in the NBA.

There's also an allegedly very good Euro PG available this offseason Theodoros Papaloukas. I hadn't heard the Blake rumor but I dig it, he's exactly the sort of distributing/shooting point we need.

Mo Williams and Earl Boykins are both also free agents. There are point guards out there, Danny. Don't [censored] this offseason up like you've [censored] everything else up.