Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Poker Coach ?

Anyone try a coach before ? Where is a good place to find one ? I saw an add for an over the phone session , but I would rather find one in the SF Bay area and do one on one sessions . I play 3 - 6 times a week at the local B&M , And at least an hour a day on net . I have a lot to learn but am better than most people I know and feel an objective veiw might help my game . Any suggestions ? Thanx!
Old 07-01-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Poker Coach ?

I had a guy coach me for about 2 months. It worked out well until he started getting crazy with the math aspect of the game. That portion would be close to impossible over the phone IMO. I approached a solid player that I saw consistently finishing deep in the tournaments at out local dogtrack. I asked him for some tips and that was it, he helped my game tremendously. I guess my only suggestion would be to find a solid player at your local B&M and ask for some pointers. You may be surprised, alot of them love to hear themselves talk and show others how great they are.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:41 PM

Ed Miller has a list of coaches here:

http://www.notedpokerauthority.com/p...ach-directory/
Old 07-01-2007, 10:51 PM

I was wondering what coaching rates are myself? I had a group want to take coaching from a semi pro who finished fairly deep in one wsop and had some final tables in smaller tourneys. The thing is, he wanted $475 from each of us for 3 hours. That seemed high to me, since there were 8 of us wanting to take the class. I would be willing to pay that for private coaching but not for a group. Were these rates the standard?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering what coaching rates are myself?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is some price information at the sites Ed has linked on his site. From what I've seen, rates vary quite a bit. I can't say what is standard. However, coaching certainly isn't cheap if you play relatively low limits.

Tommy Angelo is well known and well respected on 2+2 and he lists a rate of $100-$200/hour. He is based in Palo Alto. I'm not sure where he falls within the range of rates, but wouldn't be surprised if he were at the high end, as you usually get what you pay for.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the replies and PM's . I still haven't made up my mind but they are not cheap !I'm still lookin around and really appreciate everyones help :}
Old 07-05-2007, 03:29 PM

Uh... not saying you shouldn't or should but here is a cost effective alternative. Most of the strategy forums, (go to the one that matches your online playing level. That is Limit or NL micro's, small stakes etc.) have session reviews where players review each others sessions. Good to see other players action (you can really learn from that) Also good to have another player look at yours. They may not be as strong as a coach but I'll bet you get enough from it. I participate pretty regularly and it is really helpful.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:44 PM

you gotta be your own coach baby