Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Wireless LAN USB Dongle Problem

Okay, I wanted to set up a wireless connection on a laptop. No inbuilt adaptor so I had to use an plug in one. The CD that came with tells me that it needs a WLAN USB dongle to make it work. Trouble is I have to exit the WLAN to allow windows to configure the connection and get the internet connection.

Do you always have to exit the Dongle to get the connection going? Is there no way that the Dongle could get the connection going immediately when I start the computer?

All responses appreciated.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Wireless LAN USB Dongle Problem

I'm confused. You have to unplug the dongle when you restart your computer? What exactly do you mean by "exit the dongle" and "exit the WLAN"?

This is how it should work.

1) Install dongle driver.
2) Plug in dongle.
3) Connect to wireless.

Sometimes you can swap steps 1 & 2.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused. You have to unplug the dongle when you restart your computer? What exactly do you mean by "exit the dongle" and "exit the WLAN"?

This is how it should work.

1) Install dongle driver.
2) Plug in dongle.
3) Connect to wireless.

Sometimes you can swap steps 1 & 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to right click dongle icon in systray at bottom right of task bar, then it has a 'exit WLAN' option which I left click. Once clicking this option, dongle icon disappears from systray and I get a connection to the internet. If I do not do the above there is no connection and if I view available wireless connections it says I am using something other than windows to configure the connection and I should go to that (the Dongle).

I am going to go through the steps as you have listed them. I did 2 then 1 and that maybe causing my problem. I will report back.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:50 PM

Aha! I see your problem. Does this happen to be a Belkin dongle? (i hate belkin) This CD installed some wireless utility that is conflicting with the windows wireless configuration. I typically like to use windows because the linksys, belkin, intel utilities are generally crap.

Here's the fix:

Right click My Network Places > properties > right click your wireless connection > properties > Wireless Networks tab > uncheck "use windows to configure my wireless...." > ok
Old 06-24-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aha! I see your problem. Does this happen to be a Belkin dongle? (i hate belkin) This CD installed some wireless utility that is conflicting with the windows wireless configuration. I typically like to use windows because the linksys, belkin, intel utilities are generally crap.

Here's the fix:

Right click My Network Places > properties > right click your wireless connection > properties > Wireless Networks tab > uncheck "use windows to configure my wireless...." > ok

[/ QUOTE ]

Friend, I thank you for suggesting this but I have already done this. When I untick the "use windows to configure my wireless" box I get no connection whatsoever...though initially the dongle gives me the 'acquiring network address' legend...I also get this legend when I turn the dongle from station mode to access point mode.

Incidentally, it is a Zydas dongle.

When the computer initially starts up, the connection symbol appears in the systray as function but as soon as the ZDLan symbol appears the connnection symbol appears as not working. All this happens in a space of seconds.

My problem is that when I start the computer I want to be able to go straight to IE and open up a webpage but as it stands I have to exit the dongle from the systray and only then do I get a connection.

The dongle does not connect. I think that is the problem.

Please keep thinking about this problem.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Problem Solved

The solution should have been tipped by the 'acquiring network address...' legend that is given off whilst the dongle was trying to establish the connection before 'timing out'. I clicked on the WPA Encryption Settings within the dongle and put in the PSK (Pre-Shared Key) at the appropriate place and bingo!

In my defence I wish to say that there was no dongle booklet with the dongle (indeed it came with the laptop but was not advertised as being part of it). I finally found a manual online that explained it to me.

Thanks again to anyone that responded.

The connnectin now kicks in immediately on start up.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Problem Solved

this is the wrong forum for dongle problems, you should probably see a urologist.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is the wrong forum for dongle problems, you should probably see a urologist.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem very interested in my dongle problems...
Old 06-28-2007, 12:16 AM

just trying to help a brother out.