Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Grey\'s Log

Okay I've been lifting / dieting for almost 2 weeks now and I think I'm making too many threads so I'm going to keep all my questions in this one.

I started out at 147.4 lbs., and I think I have around 12-15% bodyfat (I measured some with calipers and estimated, but you can't really do it correctly alone). I dunno. You can see my ribs very clearly, but I have a pudge around my stomach. I'm looking to bulk right now, and I weigh 151.4. So I've made good progress (gained 4 pounds).

Available Equipment

I have a couple adjustable dumbbell sets, and an exercise ball. I don't have any room for squat racks, etc. so this limits my workout plan. I may buy a preacher curl bench soon.

Questions:

I haven't put a whole lot of thought into my workout plan. Anyone have any suggestions? I really don't feel that I'm getting a full workout on my back/bis day or my shoulders day (days 3 and 4). I will be adding 2 abs exercises to the shoulders day but I haven't looked into which two.

Also, I know I rely on protein powders too often. I don't know why it's bad to do so, but I've heard that it is. So I'm looking for a quick and easy protein alternative for one of those meals. If it takes more than 10 minutes to make I know I won't do it.

Also, this may be a dumb question, but cream of wheat is a good clean carb source right?

On days that I'm not working out, when should I take the Creatine?

Workout Plan

I'm only lifting weights right now. I want to start doing some HIIT on my days off, but I'm procrastinating on it.

I lift approximately 4-5 days a week, and take days off when I feel I need to. I never lift more than 2 days in a row.

This is my cycle:

Day 1: Dumbbell Flat Press, Dumbbell Incline Press, Flat Flyes, Skull Crushers, Single-arm overhead extensions.

Day 2: Bulgarian Squats (I plan to replace this with single-leg unsupported squats once I can actually do them), Lunges, Stiff-legged Deadlifts, Standing calf raises

Day 3: Weighted Ball Hyperextension, Bent over rows, Single Arm bent over rows, concentration curls

Day 4: Seated dumbbell press, Single-arm lateral raises, Shrugs

Diet

On the days I don't work out, I replace the Surge with a smaller amount of a the weight-gainer (end up being like half the calories).

Following Tampa-Terry's plan of carbs+protein in the morning and fat+protein at night:

Old 06-20-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Grey\'s Log

For the diet I would personally rather have like 3 whole eggs for breakfast, the fat will be good. For the second meal I'd add some fat, a scoop of peanut butter or handful of nuts will do. For the 1:30 AM meal I'd add a slow digesting carb like sweet potatoes or brown rice. If you don't want to add any more calories take less of the weightgainer and add what I listed.

A can of tuna is the quick and easiest source of protein for me when I don't want a protein shake. I eat it out of the can with hot sauce.

I assume you're working out at home. I'd get a pull up bar for like $15.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:48 AM

I can't have fat in the morning (my first 4 meals). I'm actually going to remove the omega 3 egg in the morning and replace it with some more fish oil at night.

Question: I tend to take a long time between sets (I just can't get motivated to do them quickly. I feel like I have to let my muscles rest or I won't be able to do hardly any reps). Because of this my workouts are actually taking too long. I thought one way to fix this is to mix in my exercises with each other. Like do shoulderpress / crunches / shoulderpress / crunches. My workouts would go much faster this way.

Any problems with this way of thinking?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you're working out at home. I'd get a pull up bar for like $15.

[/ QUOTE ]Why? What exercises would this give me, and which days would I put them into?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:58 PM

I always thought fat was vital for bulking.

As for supersetting, it does make the workouts go quicker. I personally feel nauseous if I do exercises back to back so I try to take 3 minutes rest between sets.

Pullup bar for your lats. I'd mix it in whenever you're doing back. Also chin ups are good for biceps.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:07 PM

hey sharpie,

the plan he is using has a protein and fat requirement that is set based on bodyweight...the rest will come from carbs...the plan has him getting plenty of protein and fat with adjustment coming in the form of additional carbs...
Old 06-28-2007, 01:44 PM

Beginning weight: 147.8
21 days later: 154.6

7 [censored] pounds. Hell yeah.

I still need some help planning my workout though. I'm not hitting my abs / bis nearly enough, and both need work.

Here are my four days again. Keep in mind I only have dumbbells and an exercise ball:

Day 1 - Chest/Tris
Flat press (4 sets at 8-12 reps)
Incline press (3)
Flat flyes (2)
Skull Crushers (3)
Single-arm overhead extension (3)

Day 2- Legs
Bulgarian Squats (4)
Lunges (4)
Stiff-legged deadlifts (4)
Standing Calf raises (4)

Day 3- Back/Bis