Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 PM

Default 100NL: 8-High Flush

This is my second orbit at the table. Weird hand that needs a lot of explaining...

BB: bad tricky/trappy player who runs 21/8.5/1.25 (street-by-street AF: 1.75/0.75/1.5).
MP1: awful uber-donk running 50/0/infinite since I sat down...he keeps insta-potting every single flop, but I haven't seen him raise on any street yet. He had his stack before I sat down.
CO: really bad semi-reg who runs 17/8/2.5. He likes to chase draws, and he's a bad postflop player. He's a big loser in my database. I have the following notes on him: "Cannot fold top pair. Called 3bet OOP with 88 before c/c flop and donk-shoving turn w/2 overcards on board."

UB NLHE - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 10 Players

<u>Hero (SB): $105.00</u>
BB: $124.65
UTG: $23.65
UTG+1: $48.85
UTG+2: $103.75
MP1: $243.30
MP2: $72.35
MP3: $105.90
<u>CO: $45.70</u>
BTN: $70.15

Preflop: Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (10 Players)
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $1.00, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $1.00, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.50, BB checks

Flop: ($4) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>

Since MP1 kept insta-potting every flop but never raising, I thought the small bet would let me see my draw for cheap.

<font color="red">BB raises to $5.00</font>

I've seen him make this same tiny flop raise before with two pair, so I immediately put him on Q9.

MP1 folds, CO calls $5.00

Weird overcall by CO. KQ? Flush draw? JT? 222? Whatever, I'm not folding getting better than 5-to-1.

Hero calls $3.00

Turn: ($19) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks

BB's turn AF (which I have on my HUD display) is so low that he could check here with Q9.

River: ($19) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $9.00</font>

At this point, I love this hand. BB has a full stack...I figure a small bet will get him to raise with two pair, and then I can 3bet. He's not the type that would raise a FD on the flop, and there's no way he can get away from two pair here. I think a big bet might scare him from raising on this textured board, so I think a small bet helps induce a raise.

BB folds, <font color="red">CO takes maybe half a second before raising all-in to $39.70</font>

He could have a lot of hands: 222, JT, two diamonds, etc. I'm getting better than 2-to-1...call or fold?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: 100NL: 8-High Flush

Call, but I'm a flushwhore.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 PM

Snap call
Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 PM

Instacall.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Snap call

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-07-2007, 01:01 AM

I'm a bit more worried about the CO here. Through the hand he has shown no agression. Seems typical of a draw. You're notes say he likes to chase them.

Being in CO I would think with an overpair etc which he couldn't get away from (according to your notes) he would be betting more trying to protect his hand, unless checking for pot control? Saying that if he is happy to get in on the flush card, why not the turn?

I'm a newb, I'm probably wrong, and I probably couldn't get away from this hand myself. I just wouldn't be suprised seeing the diamonds shown.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 AM

People seem to think this is a slam dunk call, so...

I immediately thought it was an insta-call, but the more I thought about it, the more I figured it could only be two diamonds. The longer I thought, the more it looked like a fold, but I just didn't see how I could getting better than 2-to-1, so I called. He had A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The more I look at this, the more it looks like a flush draw the entire way. Maybe I'm just being results oriented, though.

How much does he need to have in front of him for this to be a fold on the river?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 AM

I wish I hadn't seen you last post before I posted. This looks exactly like a flush to me. I could easily fold this.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:18 PM

Same here, hate to see the results already but let me spell it out..

Why does CO not have a set/two pair or even a straight? Because he didn't bet the turn in position. In a 3-way pot, there is no way this player is going to let you guys draw or catch up for FREE if he already has a very good made hand. The flop cold-call is entirely indicative of a nut draw, he was priced in because of the small size of the bets.

However, there is an outside (and it is very outside), that he does have a set and got scared by the straight draw that came in on the turn. I still don't see it though, because he would most likely figure himself committed after hitting a set, and bet anyhow.

People so rarely ever raise rivers without the nuts/near nuts. Take a step back before you snap-call, it might save you a few bucks. I doubt CO would even raise a set on the river, because pretty much every draw possible completed.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Same here, hate to see the results already but let me spell it out..

Why does CO not have a set/two pair or even a straight? Because he didn't bet the turn in position. In a 3-way pot, there is no way this player is going to let you guys draw or catch up for FREE if he already has a very good made hand. The flop cold-call is entirely indicative of a nut draw, he was priced in because of the small size of the bets.

However, there is an outside (and it is very outside), that he does have a set and got scared by the straight draw that came in on the turn. I still don't see it though, because he would most likely figure himself committed after hitting a set, and bet anyhow.

People so rarely ever raise rivers without the nuts/near nuts. Take a step back before you snap-call, it might save you a few bucks. I doubt CO would even raise a set on the river, because pretty much every draw possible completed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read his notes on CO, he is a bad TAGish player. Key word BAD.

So we can't associate how a good thinking player would play the hand, with how he would play the hand. He could very easily be slowplaying a set or a hand like TJ until the river and he just raises because well its the end and now is the time.

Bad players make bad plays.