FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Do I make a laydown?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Omaha Hi/Lo Ring game
Limit: $0.5/$1
7 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, CO calls, Hero calls <font color="aaaaaa">(4:1)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls, Hero calls <font color="aaaaaa">(7:1)</font>.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (-5SB, 5 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, BB calls <font color="aaaaaa">(-5:1)</font>, UTG calls <font color="aaaaaa">(-4:1)</font>, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(-3:1)</font>, Hero calls <font color="aaaaaa">(-2:1)</font>.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (-2.5BB, 5 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls <font color="aaaaaa">(-2.5:1)</font>, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(-1.5:1)</font>, Hero calls <font color="aaaaaa">(-0.5:1)</font>.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (-2.5BB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, UTG calls <font color="aaaaaa">(-2.5:1)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Hero..

On the villians, there are not fish. The fish folded out this hand.

I called the flop bet which I know is loose, but I closed the action on the button, so I couldn't be reraised. I was hoping for a high diamond, Q, K.

I've finally beaten the .25/.5 game, and am beginning to beat the .5/1 game. But this hand stumped me. Should I have folded at Flop? Should I call River double bet?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Do I make a laydown?

What are all those funny numbers and ratios your hand converter spit out? Some of them should be pot sizes but if so they're wrong...

I think calling flop and turn is OK given the size of the pot and the fact that you're closing the action. Not sure about the river; I think I fold here but my river play in limit is probably still too heavily influenced by my pot limit heuristics...
Old 06-29-2007, 02:15 PM

With a bettor, caller and raiser, seems like a fairly easy fold. 9 out of 10 times your high is no good. Given the action on the turn (when the low got there), I'd say only one or maybe two of the other players is playing their low. So you've likely got at least one or two players playing a high hand, and your second-nut flush is not very strong with a paired board and that action.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:27 PM

Well, at 7 handed play, I start to adapt to a 6-ring game style, where 3,4,5th nut highs will normally win. So THats why I called the flop. Why I should have folded the flop was the discounted equity due to 2 low cards.

With the bet, call and raise, I folded thinking the Full House was rearing its head. It turned out it was another nut low raising. 2 pair won this. I folded the high winner.
But thats just THIS time. I was pissed and wanted a reality check on that laydown.

Statistically, I should fold the hand, I think, in that situation every time.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have folded at Flop?

[/ QUOTE ]Grandma - Probably. I would have folded after the flop. However, I don't think it's terrible to call a bet

[ QUOTE ]
Should I call River double bet?

[/ QUOTE ]I would. I'd put SB on a good low hand. Hard to say about CO. Could just be trip fives.

Tough river decision. Of course you hate the double bet with the threat of a re-raise, or even a jam. However, I think if you're going to play your hand all the way to the river that you should not be intimidated and fold on the river.

But, playing against these guys, if you get away from this hand after the flop, you save yourself some possible grief late in the hand when you don't have the nuts.

You don't need the nuts to win. Indeed, I'd expect your hand to win for high here. But before you make your hand, after the flop, especially if you have a one way hand in what will probably be a two way pot, you usually want to be drawing to the nuts. Get it?

Buzz